• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A back seat bracket

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I noticed something I had not been aware of in that there was some kind of bracket used to hold the top part of the back seat in place; the bracket looks simple like perhaps a J shaped hook to fastens to the seat and then to the tub and is covered up by the trim. Does anyone have a picture of an original?

Attachments

• DSCN3288.jpg
    DSCN3288.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 115

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
I've had two TR3A's and neither had a bracket there. That's not to say that there wasn't one, but the seat back stays in place without it.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh I have had a few tr3s myself and none of them had a bracket. I did have the seat keep sliding out of those slots one on and drilled a couple of holes on the very lip of the back side of the seat and pulled the seat in from the trunk and wired it to those C shaped brackets that the seat wedges into.

I have no life, so finding new things on a tr3 interest me; how exciting. Anyways, when I noticed how the tub had a recess where the back seat goes and there was a corresponding hole in the seat, I thought I had figured something new and astonishing out. Perhaps I could make them and become rich.

The way I see it there was some engineering for something there and maybe the early cars had something.

David posted a bracket for the steering column that I had never seen before-- plus I kinda thought before there should be something there to hold that side. Moreover, the radiator over flow tube bracket was unknown to me until a couple years ago, so there is hope for more unknown parts on a tr3 kind like "exhibition unknown" on TV.

Attachments

• DSCN3292.jpg
    DSCN3292.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3293.jpg
    DSCN3293.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3288.jpg
    DSCN3288.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 94

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve.

That's where the hardtop brackets go (aka "Bridge Piece"). Here is a page from the workshop manual showing how to fit the hardtop. Apparently after TS6824 the body was stamped for the brackets. I dug out my old rear panel - no holes that might match those on the rear deck; looks like yours is the same.

P1100841.jpgP1100828.jpg

Attachments

• P1100825.jpg
    P1100825.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 76
OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I hear Tropic6 I have those holes also, and I have a hard top hooked up with all the fittings on another car. This indent is dead center and has a recess for something to slide back into right at area around the gas cap on the sheet metal of the tub. Is that a 3/16 hole I see in the center at the top back of your back seat panel or a speck of dirt?

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK - I see what you are talking about with the recess and small hole. I think my back panel does have a center hole but will confirm tomorrow.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
My guess is a bracket that looks a lot like the other back seat brackets on the tub but was screwed onto the seat first then when the seat was slide back a screw was put into the tub to hold the seat from sliding forward. Or maybe kinda like the ones on the bottom of the seat; something simple. I have had the seat slid forward before and wired them back. Don E would have probably known.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I got the back seat in anyway. The hole that is by that tentative bracket I suggest is also the center for the trim.

Attachments

• DSCN3358.JPGsm.jpg
    DSCN3358.JPGsm.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3352.JPGsm.jpg
    DSCN3352.JPGsm.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3353.JPGsm.jpg
    DSCN3353.JPGsm.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 64
OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I struggled with how to do it; I cut some foam but decided to glue right onto the medal. It is far from perfect and I pulled it up and glued it 3 times. After getting sooo much glue on the seam and moving to 3M 99 for better sticking, I was able to turn the hard nylon seam down--- then laying the glued up mess flat parts of the nylon seam down the edge of the arch.

It might have been better to take some very fine cotton batting and put some on either side of the seam, just a little; it was something like that originally . Moreover, this really nice retiring upholster named Char made me some softer white piping to go around the trim.