• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Quick lawyer question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hey there lawyer friends, it's time to redo our will. (actually it is waaay past time but better late than never)

1st marriage, no blended family, no property beyond the house,

do we need one will or two?

TIA
JP

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP- I think you need to ask a Toronto based lawyer!

Every state and province is different - and usually a will is a directive from *one* person.

Tom M.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What he said.

However, I believe you can each do a will without the aid of a lawyer, if you wish. There are some requirements to be met, so it might be easier to pay for some help; but there is no requirement it be from a lawyer. Here's a site I just found that outlines some of the options: https://www.legalwills.ca/blog/making-a-will-in-canada/

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Two wills. Reciprocal. Will only covers property in sole name of decedent not joint/survivorship or with designated beneficiary like insurance policy or IRA. I am handling a $4 Million plus estate now with all assets joint, even the 3 cars, hence no formal probate proceedings necessary. In CT, still have to clear title to real estate when joint owner dies. I'm sure its the same in your jurisdiction. Amazing that we still read cases about people buying real estate without a title search and getting "surprises". Out west, there are also retained mineral and oil rights to watch out for.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Just be careful who you hire, after all, 99% of the lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just be careful who you hire, after all, 99% of the lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.

I met a lawyer on the Camino last year - his comment was 'there are only 3 lawyer jokes, the rest are all true.'

seriously, thanks all! Two it is.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Confession time, I'm a recovering lawyer (retired). I laughed at the title because I'd get about 10 calls a day seeking advice for a "quick question". I usually told them the question might be quick but the answer is going to take a while.

story of my entire life. course in my biz we call them sermons. :grin: