• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Windshield

Martec

Country flag
Hi
Does anyone have "instructions" on how to take apart and put back together an BJ8 windshield? I wish to send the frame out for re-chroming.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Re: BJ8 Wind shield

Search this forum, myself and others have asked the same question and gotten good info. Short answer:

1) Remove the dash and unscrew the screw in the center of the dash.
2) Unbolt the windshield frame at the front pillars.
3) Lift the windshield out in one piece (2-man job).

Getting the glass back in a (presumably) new seal is a bit of a trick, there's info here.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Getting the glass back in a (presumably) new seal is a bit of a trick, there's info here., or let a pro glass shop do it.

OP
M

Martec

Country flag

Search this forum, myself and others have asked the same question and gotten good info. Short answer:

1) Remove the dash and unscrew the screw in the center of the dash.
2) Unbolt the windshield frame at the front pillars.
3) Lift the windshield out in one piece (2-man job).

Getting the glass back in a (presumably) new seal is a bit of a trick, there's info here.

I need to know how to diassemble the frame and put it back together after. There are rivets that need to be removed ...... can these be replaced later? I already have the screen out of the car and the screws in the frame loose. Or do I send the frame out to the platers with the riveted parts in place.
Thanks

PeterB

Country flag

I just did the same to my BJ7. I sent everything to the plater and they took the rivets apart so they could see how it went together to know what to chrome. Sourcing the rivets and reinstalling them wasn't fun in the least but it can be done. I learned a little about riveting in the meantime.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I haven't receive my windshield back from the platers yet but I sent good pictures ahead of time and they said I didn't need to remove the rivets. I thought that meant they weren't going to either. You may want to talk it through with your plater.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I think if there's any indication of rust around the rivet heads you'd want to remove them; I'm not sure the plating process can guarantee all traces of rust will be removed and/or neutralized under the rivet heads (IMO only).

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Excellent point Bob. I 100% agree. I had no rust around my rivets. Other folks may have.

Htimsc

Freshman Member
Country flag

Hello all, I need to remove the top bar from the windshield assembly of my BJ8. There are two screws at either end of the top bar. It appears that there is a “U” shaped channel facing down that holds the gasket that holds the glass. This is evidenced by a small hole about 3/8” in the middle of the channel in which the top of the rubber gasket can be seen. (Purpose of this hole is not clear).

Is the removal of this top bar as simple as removing the two screws either side and carefully levering up the bar?! If not what is the procedure? Are there any issues reinstalling the bar? I’ve found that the apparently most simple task with these cars are often not!
Thanks for any advice or suggestions...
Chris

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

The two screws on each side bracket fix an L-shaped bracket that also screws to the top bracket. Just unscrew them and the top bracket should be released from the side brackets.

The hole in the middle of the top bracket is for a rubber 'plug' that acts as a cushion for the hood (convertible top) when the hood is closed (convertible top is up).