Thread: Spitfire for the Win

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Spitfire for the Win

https://jalopnik.com/at-2-900-would-...ire-1838213208

The guy who writes this has had a few old British cars, including a Spitfire as mentioned in the article, andI think he may have or have had a Jensen Healey. Anyway a fun little excersize, and always interesting to hear what non-british car guys think of our LBCs (in the comments).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Re: Spitfire for the Win

Why is it that in any discussion of old British cars there will be someone who has to bring up engine swaps?

I smiled when one of the commenters talked about how unreliable the ignition systems were in "these cars". Really? Points ignitions may require more maintenance than what you'll find on modern cars but at least you CAN service them.

Incidentally, 2 years ago we sold our '72 Spitfire. It was a "bitsa" with a '72 frame and body, later 1500 engine, later single rail gearbox, with donors for all sorts of other components. I posted it for $4k but wanted $3500. A father/son came to look at it and offered me $3400. I was happy to see it go to what hopefully was going to be a good home. While they asked if they could call me for help and advice... they never did.

Thanks for posting the link.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I read the column regularly, anything under about $3k gets a nice price win if it is at all decent, but nice to see the old British car get 90%+ positive votes, which rarely happens. It did look like a pretty good deal (though it doesn't seem that long ago that $3k was top money for a Spitfire)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am BIG fan of all Triumphs TR2 to TR6. Spitfire and Stags not so much. They just don't do it for me.
    Marv

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

"Like your first love, you never forget your first Spitfire."
    My Dad bought a 65 Spitfire when I was 7 year old. Eight years later I bought a TR3 but my favorite car was a 1971 GT6+ I drove in College.
    Not one of my Triumphs ever left me stranded on the side of the road, though the hood was often up more than it was down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Now that you mention it, my Triumphs have never left me stranded either. 6 years of a 4A as a daily driver, and 10 years as a hobby car with my TR250.

Getting back to Spitfires, I have never had one, the one featured seems like a good deal, but given my choice I would go for a late 60s 1296, unencumbered by the emissions and safety stuff that the British just didn't do very well.