• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kia update or the power of haggling :]

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My Kia Soul is almost 10 years old and SWMBO has explained that I need to spruce it up a bit or I will fall out of love with it and want a new car and she doesn't want to pay for a new car - wise woman that. The car has been amazing 265,000 km and going strong. Last summer the sunroof quit - which is to say it would open it just wouldn't close. Never got around to it last year so, this year I had my local glas/upholstery place fix it - they actually just pulled unit out of a car from the wreckers and replaced it. Also this year I had to replace a reflector on the back of it - I think someone backed into it or backed into something when I loaned it out a few months ago.

Then about a month ago I was driving home from golf on the highway and kept hearing this tapping sound - it came and it went and then there was a bang and it went - the piece of trim that covers the passenger A-pillar blew right off the car. OK, covered it with duct tape - there is about 10 holes and they all whistle! and when I went to the wreckers to get the aforementioned reflector, these trim pieces were missing on both cars there - making me think it wasn't a rare occurrence after all. Fast forward to this week when I finally remember to start looking again. Find a Soul being parted out on Kijiji - email the guy and yesterday he calls me.

You want the trim pieces he says?
Yes, the passenger side
Oh I want to sell them as a pair.
I only want one.
what did you want to pay he asks.
I was thinking $20-25
Oh he says, I was thinking $100 for the pair,
well says I, I bought the reflector for $5.
Oh he says, well would you take $40 for one?
How about $30 responds I
So we set it up and as it happens he's kind of on the way back from church, set up the meet (which may or may not be a chop shop)
We take both parts to hold them against the car to make sure I get the correct one - pay him the money.
He says, for $10 you can have the other one.
OK

and there we are $20 a piece - I didn't need both but, it's where we started. Not usually that good a haggler but I am certainly happy. Tomorrow I will go t my window upholstery guy and he can glue it on.

Progress.

Oh and today was British Car Day - largest British Car Show in North America - Ms Triss is half apart in the garage so I didn't go - and it rained - a lot. Kind of happy I didn't.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad you got that sorted oout with a good deal. Speaking of Kia's my youngest son's 04 PT Cruiser (piece of carp) has all 4 motor mounts bad and for one of them, the engine must be removed. Decided to donate that car to Casa Esperanza and he got an 08 Kia Sportage with just over 100k miles. Nice little car actually.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It will be the passenger side again that will part company with the car.

David

love the optimism in this place :smile: (you're probably right)

64f669a2271abc72b1921d988e03aededa85ccaa78c868e5a956e5fcb73871bf.jpg

Country flag
Just a couple weeks ago decided to get rid of the 99 Corolla I bought new. Was starting to develop wiring related issues and it became spend a bunch on it, or get something new to eventually take into retirement in a few more years. Had the advange I could put down more that necessary and joked with friends that I could have paid cash for the whole thing but having a loan for half the amount and paying it off looks better on the credit report. It's a 20 Corolla, and the keyless everything I'm slowly getting used to. And it does have a stick since God gave us two hands and two feet for that very reason...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mikephillips said:
And it does have a stick since God gave us two hands and two feet for that very reason...

:thumbsup:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Today was one of those days where it was nothing but errands - SWMBO's eye test - picked up some bushes for the Midget - hot tub chemicals etc. etc. Went by the guys that installed my sunroof and they installed the trim - no charge and while they were doing that, walked across the street to my mechanic who pressed the fan hub onto the water pump for the Midget - again no charge. Always good to be reminded of good people - good service (and, of course being a loyal customer)

all in all a very very good day!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice!

JP said:
Went by the guys that installed my sunroof and they installed the trim - no charge and while they were doing that, walked across the street to my mechanic who pressed the fan hub onto the water pump for the Midget - again no charge. Always good to be reminded of good people - good service (and, of course being a loyal customer)

all in all a very very good day!

Try explaining that to a "city kid"... too many have no sense of community.