Thread: TR3 Overdrive filter drain plug

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR3 Overdrive filter drain plug

It's been some time since I've been on here, sorry about that. I've been in the lonely world of TVR restoration. Anybody needing information on Triumphs can easily get it here.

Has anyone had any success in getting the large brass drain plug in the bottom of the A-type O/D sealed. I tried a hard rubber ring this time and I still have the leak. The fiber washer TRF sells for the sealing ring barley fits and leaks as well. Any ideas?

Keith
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: TR3 Overdrive filter drain plug

I make a paper gasket out of my .060 vellumoid gasket paper stock.I cut the id slightly small so it sort of threads on so it stays centered after going over the threads.
    Then a smear of never seize on the outside face of the gasket .No sealer on the trans side.Seals for me.
    Tom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I recently had my A-type apart and refitted the drain plug with a light smear of lock tight on the threads, I also fitted quat rings to the selector shafts and now for the first time I have no oil leaks from the box

Graham
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Go to Ace and buy a 2 mil o-ring. Seals like a champ and reusable...so long as the plug and tranny are not gouged.
    John

1955 TR2

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The O ring did the trick for me on the plug, but I have not been able to seal those selector shafts very good over the years. What did you use Graham or where did you get them?

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you guys for the suggestions, not sure which one to try first. I like the o-ring idea but I'm afraid it will push out or worse into the overdrive. I was able to find a 3mm ring with a hardness of 35 on the hardness scale. This last effort was with a flat o-ring, or plumbing gasket but it was not hard enough. The paper also sound like a good idea if it were thick enough to compress some. I'm not familiar Vellumoid gasket material. I looked it up and the site I was on mentioned many different types for sale in large quantities. I only need a piece 3"X3". Thank you again for the ideas.
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

sp53 do a search for quad rings and find Tom Mull Transmission oil leak which has all the details for quad rings.

Graham
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mallard View Post
    Thank you guys for the suggestions, not sure which one to try first. I like the o-ring idea but I'm afraid it will push out or worse into the overdrive. I was able to find a 3mm ring with a hardness of 35 on the hardness scale. This last effort was with a flat o-ring, or plumbing gasket but it was not hard enough. The paper also sound like a good idea if it were thick enough to compress some. I'm not familiar Vellumoid gasket material. I looked it up and the site I was on mentioned many different types for sale in large quantities. I only need a piece 3"X3". Thank you again for the ideas.
    The O-ring goes down past the threads on the plug. It would have to chew through all the threads to reach the OD innards.
    John

1955 TR2