Thread: Filling Steering Gearbox with Castrol Hypoy Process

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Filling Steering Gearbox with Castrol Hypoy Process

I am getting ready to fill my steering gearbox with Castrol Hypoy grease as specified in the manual. My car is a BJ8. The gearbox is in the car and the filler hole is hard to get at and is small in diameter. What is the best way to fill the gearbox?

Thanks in advance!
    Stever

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Filling Steering Gearbox with Castrol Hypoy Process

I’ve used a large syringe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts

You can get a syringe or suction gun (Amazon) with a hose which will reach the bottom of the box.

Turn the steering wheel to left lock; this will allow your tube to reach the bottom of the box. Fill from bottom up until it overflows. Withdrawing tube, operate the steering side to side a couple of times to remove any air pockets.

With a large syringe, you can pull the piston out and pour the oil into the syringe, then push it in with the piston.

Warming the oil in the sun or a bucket of hot water helps thin it.

If you haven't yet bought the Hypoy there are "00" greases such as Stens, which would be less likely to leak. Lots of discussion in the archives here about John Deere Corn Head gun grease.
    Last edited by steveg; 09-15-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Yes use the process Steve has suggested but I bought my syringe at a local kitchen accessory store. I use a 00 grease or equivalent and the syringe just sucks it out of the bottle then inject it into the steering box.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Back before I started wearing disposable contacts I'd have to clean my contacts every night with a solution, or two, that came in small bottles with a small nozzle. Works well for topping up steering boxes and idlers; I've always thought syringes were a messy hassle.

Something like this, but smaller:

https://www.amazon.com/Equate-Saline.../dp/B01MTFZ71L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hi All,

More then a year ago, when we first discussed replacement for the leaking steering fluid, I purchased (2) tubes of John Deere Corn Head grease thinking my steering box was leaking. When ready to install the grease, I found the steering box to be full of fluid, leaving me in the dark as to the origin of the film of oil on the bottom of the box. Needless to say, I replaced the cap and put the tubes of grease back on the shelf. However, in an examination last week, I noticed oil on the bottom of my steering box and I am guessing the time to go for the John Deere Corn Head grease in fast approaching.

As I remember, the John Deere grease is in tubes, similar to those for chassis grease, and it may be possible clean out my grease gun and use it to inject the John Deere grease into the steering box. Has any tried this approach? Also, since I am under the impression the John Deere is compatible with steering box fluid and it might be possible to extract most of the fluid with the remaining being displaced by the injection of its grease replacement. Has anyone tried this?

Ray(64BJ8P1)
    Last edited by RAC68; 09-22-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ray your way way way overthinking this .
    Crack the lower two bolts on the steering box and let it drain over a few days .
    Put the tube of corn head grease in the gun , remove the grease nipple coupling bit .
    Now pump away into the box until shes full , let it settle by cranking the steering and waiting . Remember corn head grease is a semi solid it will settle and level on its own in a reasonable temperature given time .
    Top it up till shes full .
    Drive and enjoy .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts

I like this for injecting Corn Head Grease from the bottom up inside the box:

GreaseInjector.jpg

screenshot.1909.jpg
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hi All,

Healey Nut, you are very astute. Overthinking is not a new practice for me and usually expose issues, often with the participation of the Forum, by the time I address the task.

Steve, thank you. I have a similar terminal at the end of one of my grease guns that I had planned to use.

I am also wondering if anyone has filled the idler with Corn Head Grease as well as the steering box?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My '60 BN7 dumped its steering box contents overnight several years ago. I read up on the issue, bought a tube of the Deere Corn Head grease, unscrewed and removed the coupling on my grease gun and pumped virtually the entire tube in the box. I didn't know enough to lift the front end and turn the steering wheel back and forth to insure that the box was full, but I kept my eye on the box and added a bit after some driving. I didn't attempt to evacuate the remaining original oil from the box, so I had a little residue leaking out over time. I'm also interested in the idler question posed by Ray. The content of mine seems stable and I have left it as found. Also, I recently adjusted the steering box on my car via the adjustment atop the box (with a Whitworth wrench and a screw driver). After I broke the nut free I probably tightened the screw less than a quarter turn. Upon driving it the steering felt a little heaver. I then lifted the front end and swung the steering back and forth, finally returning the set screw to the original setting. My goal was to attempt to remove just a bit of highway wander on my car. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to really feel whether the adjustment tried initially improved the steering feel with the wheel lifted off the garage floor, and I didn't like the little extra drag I thought I felt after the very slight turning of that screw. Anyone else with experience with this adjustment?
    Owner of a 1960 BN7 with Toyota 5 speed and a '92 Porsche 968 coupe. Former owner '62 Jaguar MK2, MG-TF brought back from military service in Italy 1958, '61 Healey BT7, pre-A Porsche 356, and a Porsche 944.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I tried adjusting mine, and it all but eliminated the 'return-to-center' effect, which wasn't a good thing.