• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Starting

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
Hi I need some help trouble shooting a starting problem. The car was running fine. Now it turns over but will not start. It is getting gas to the carbs. How can I check if it's getting spark. Thanks

dklawson

Yoda
You said you have gas to the carbs but it may not be getting into the carbs.

Your first test should be to spray a shot of starting fluid into each carb throat and try again to start the engine. If the engine fires, runs very briefly, then stops... you have a fuel problem. If the engine does not fire on starter fluid there may be an ignition problem.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One test for spark is to remove one spark plug, put the wire back on it, then lay or hold it against the cylinder head so the metal shell is touching the metal of the engine. Then get someone else to crank the engine while you watch the plug gap for spark.

Not a 100% test, but a good start. If you don't have a helper available, rig up a remote starter switch so you can crank the engine from under the hood. They're pretty simple, I built my own back in high school; but also not too expensive to buy even if you only need it once.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-remote-starter-switch-35448.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Push-B...925630&hash=item4432534cd9:g:lAQAAOSwjwZcLsUd

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't hold the wire at all; hold the metal shell of the spark plug firmly against the engine head or block and you won't get shocked.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You said "The car was running fine". What did you do between then and now ?

OP
sundown

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
It was running fine last fall but started to smoke like crazy,. I removed the head and had it rebuilt. The valve guides were shot about .015-.020 slop. Then I decided to replace the rings and connecting rod bearing while the head was being rebuilt. What I'm getting at is I never disturbed the carb settings or points. I put new plugs in and now it just keeps cranking. THANKS

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Assuming the carbs weren't flooding or dripping fuel when you tried starting the engine go ahead and do the 'starting fluid' thing and let us know what happens. The next step in trouble shooting depends on those results.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
With our carbs you'll need to lift the air valve a bit when you spray so that the starting fluid gets to where it needs to.

OP
sundown

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
Hi I just went out and tried the starting fluid.i did lift the air valve and sprayed. It did not even cough like it wanted to start?

dklawson

Yoda
You took the head off and put it back on? Did you remember to adjust the valves. On pushrod engines the valve lash has to be set after a new head gasket is installed because not all head gaskets will have the same installed thickness.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Now see if you have spark...Put a spark plug, ANY spark plug from ANY type engine will do, (including one for the TR6 engine) into one of your engine's spark plug wires as previously described and see if you have spark.
No need for new points as long as they are still gaped at about .015"
If you don't have spark, you'll have to troubleshoot a bit more to find out why...but first see if you have it or not.

OP
sundown

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
Ok Poolboy, I am going to try that I'll definitely get back with the findings. Thanks for helping me trying to figure this out.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Have a look at the condenser and wire from the coil to make sure they are under the plastic sleeve and not on top of the stud.

dklawson

Yoda
You can also test the low-tension side of the ignition system.

Make up a test light. Connect one if its leads to coil (+), the other to coil (-). Crank the engine. The test lamp should flash on and off if the low-tension side of the ignition system is working.