• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It doesn't pay to cheat

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Actress Felicity Huffman was sentenced to 14 days in jail, ordered to pay $30,000 fine, be on supervised release for 1 year and perform community service (250hrs). This, because she paid someone $15,000 to "up" her daughter's SAT score to get her into college. [She's the wife of actor William H. Macy (Wild Hogs, Air Force One...)]

Huffman pled guilty. Another actress, Lori Laughlin, is fighting similar charges in court.

D

Deleted member 8987

Does she get the money she paid refunded? Do the folks who set this up and took the money get jail time?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Poor baby.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"It doesn't pay to cheat".... based on her sentence maybe it did pay to cheat.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Some of the people will probably get jail time; Rick Singer has pled guilty but not been sentenced yet.

How well it "pays" remains to be seen, IMO. An Ivy League diploma can be worth a LOT of money over a lifetime, as it's a stepping-stone to all sorts of lucrative positions down the road. $30,000 (to a rich person) and a couple months picking up trash doesn't really seem proportionate, to me.

And the scams have been going on for a long time. Singer got "caught" some 5 years ago, but denied all knowledge and apparently went right on doing it.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-11/ucla-rick-singer-college-admissions-scandal

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One would hope/presume that Singer would get BIG jail-time (this time).

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Barely a slap on the wrist.

Pity, that.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Barely a slap on the wrist.
Pity, that.

I think the only deterrent is the horrible publicity... but had that not happened, it would surely be business as usual.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I keep hearing about the celebrities who bribed, what about the people who falsified records or accepted bribes to get them in. I would think those people should get harsher sentences and were presumably in some sort of position of trust and allowed this to happen or facilitated it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The Boss has forbidden politics on this board, so ...

"I think I could say something if you know what I mean
But if I really say it
The radio won't play it
Unless I lay it between the lines "

- Paul Stookey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Plenty of blame to go around, from affluent parents all the way up to the schools. That Singer guy and the SAT "elevators" should certainly have their wings clipped.

Seems greed trumping merit is the heart of the issue to me. An impulse not necessarily confined to the human species, either.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"We do everything we can for our kids."

Right. Like buying them whatever they want, filling their rooms with toys, giving them the flashiest cars, doing their work for them, writing their term papers, finding them a job, hiring the best lawyers to defend them.

Yep - we do everything we can for our kids.

Except maybe, helping them to grow up.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The Boss has forbidden politics on this board, so ...

"I think I could say something if you know what I mean
But if I really say it
The radio won't play it
Unless I lay it between the lines "

- Paul Stookey

And it has served us well - all the kids play nice :angel2:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
"We do everything we can for our kids."

Right. Like buying them whatever they want, filling their rooms with toys, giving them the flashiest cars, doing their work for them, writing their term papers, finding them a job, hiring the best lawyers to defend them.

Yep - we do everything we can for our kids.

Except maybe, helping them to grow up.

Military school helped! :drill:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
She will probable get a hot spot on the morning shows after her 14 days of "Hard Time".

What about the kids that did not get a place at that school because of the cheating?

I think I read about a kid that filed a law suit against the school when he was kicked out because his parents cheated to get him in. Claimed he had nothing to do with the cheating so he should be allowed to stay.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I went to an Ivy League school - UPenn. How come I'm not rich and still working at 85??
I'm betting that you enjoy what you do... that's why :encouragement:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm guessing you didn't cheat enough :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Country flag
Lori Laughlin and her husband may get serious time since they not only paid for SAT scores but paid school employees to create false recommendations and scholarship qualifications, half a million bucks worth. Then refused to admit they'd done anything that would be considered wrong. And to me the funny thing is, the daughters weren't really interested in going to college, one was in Tahiti with friends on some rich guy's boat rather than starting school. She apparently wanted the homecoming and partying experience but said she wasn't into "that school thing". They'd have been better off to buy season tickets and a map to fraternity houses and said "knock yourself out and let us know how that social media influencer thing is by the time you 30s and there's a million young girls taking your place"...