Thread: Door ding!

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: Door ding!

Slightly on a different plane. Well the rear fender actually, I accidentally put a big crease into it and just took the wing off and gently beat it out, the same happened to a lesser extent on the front but I was able to tap it out insitu as I could reach it from inside the engine bay. If that had happened to me, I would take the wing (fender) off and tap it out and clean up everything behind before replacing it. Or, just put my cowboy hat on and fill and paint and sort it out properly another time.

Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Update: I met with a PDR technician, who came highly recommended. Good man, experienced, who previously restored a number of award winning TRs. Many of the things he said echoed Ausmhly's comments. He could see no easy way to fix the dent and a dent on a curved surface would make it especially difficult. Entry from below did not appeal to him because of visual access and leverage. Entry through a hole in the wheel well did not seem doable because the dent is so far aft (it's very close to the edge of the door). A hole through the side bulkhead beneath the dash would not provide the necessary visual access or leverage either. He would not use glue tabs because of the age of the paint. Looks like I'll just have to live with it unless I am up for removing the fender. Interestingly, the PDR guy said fixing the dent with the fender off would present challenges as well (leverage issue). He made me laugh when he said he's busy been fixing dents made by acorns falling from trees!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nevets View Post
    Update: I met with a PDR technician, who came highly recommended. Good man, experienced, who previously restored a number of award winning TRs. Many of the things he said echoed Ausmhly's comments. He could see no easy way to fix the dent and a dent on a curved surface would make it especially difficult. Entry from below did not appeal to him because of visual access and leverage. Entry through a hole in the wheel well did not seem doable because the dent is so far aft (it's very close to the edge of the door). A hole through the side bulkhead beneath the dash would not provide the necessary visual access or leverage either. He would not use glue tabs because of the age of the paint. Looks like I'll just have to live with it unless I am up for removing the fender. Interestingly, the PDR guy said fixing the dent with the fender off would present challenges as well (leverage issue). He made me laugh when he said he's busy been fixing dents made by acorns falling from trees!
    If you were to ask him, if I remove the panel and clamp it to something so it's solid and put something behind it so you can get leverage, can you then PDR it? I would say YES! So should he.

With your help, a little skin in the game to get the wing off, not a 5 minute job, you'll get the dent out in the best possible way...PDR. No worries about paint matching, keeping original paint etc. He should be able to do the repair in about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; 09-30-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ausmhly, I did in fact ask about doing PDR with the fender removed, and he stated that once removed, the part would need to be properly braced and secured, with a means of providing the necessary leverage. As someone experienced restoring vintage Brit cars, he noted that removing the fender and then remounting it 'straight' with all the gaps right might be challenging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

IIm with AUSMHLY

Guess fixin acorn dents just so much easier to do ?
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ausmhly, I did in fact ask about doing PDR with the fender removed, and he stated that once removed, the part would need to be properly braced and secured, with a means of providing the necessary leverage. As someone experienced restoring vintage Brit cars, he noted that removing the fender and then remounting it 'straight' with all the gaps right might be challenging.
    He's mirroring exactly what I've said.

Let me see if I can figure out how to get a tool to your area on my BJ8. I've photo shopped your dent. If you care to provide the measurement in inches or mm for the three lines, I'll transfer those to my BJ8 wing and see it there is a way to get a rod to that area. I already know the wing rolls over on itself going towards the front, so access will be a challenge. I'm confident I'll be able to figure out how to PDR this.

fullsizeoutput_15ba.jpeg
    1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks...about 4.5" down from fender bead, 4.5" up from swage line, about 2.75" from rear edge of fender. See pic for more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you go with taking the fender off: make a pillowcase out of suede leather (shoemaker, if you can find
    one to stitch it) and I found a cheap piece of suede at Tandy. Fill it 1/2 with sand. Press the dent side
    into the pillow and using a formed piece of wood, you can carefully pound the dent out. Easy does it.
    The pillow gives you a good formed backer. You will need help in holding the fender in position. A wife
    comes in handy at this point. It works great, just go EASY with the small hammer. I believe
    the door has to come off to remove the fender, but I don't think you will be happy by
    trying to hammer from a small opening somewhere.
    Last edited by dancrim; 10-01-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spacing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dancrim For This Useful Post:

nevets  (10-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks...about 4.5" down from fender bead, 4.5" up from swage line, about 2.75" from rear edge of fender. See pic for more...
    I've marked my car having the dent in the same place as Nevets, and I can get access/leverage to the dent with that PDR rod in the photo.
    If you have access in the same place as me, good to go.

If not, I'd drill a small hole where I've photo shopped the white circle, slide my rod in and work the dent out. I'd put a rubber plug in the hole after.
    The plug would not be seen when the door is open.

Well, not sure why I can't post the photo? Am I only allowed x photos to post? Do I need to go into my history and delete some other photos?

Figured it out with steveg's help

IMG_2621.jpg
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; 10-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    1964 BJ8 phase II

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AUSMHLY For This Useful Post:

nevets  (10-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUSMHLY View Post
    I've marked my car in the same place, and I can get access/leverage to the dent as shown in the marked up photo.
    If you access in the same place as me, good to go. If not, I'd drill a small hole where I've photo shopped the white circle, slide my rod in and work the dent out. I'd put a rubber plug in the hole after.
    The plug would not be seen when the door is open.

Well, not sure why I can't post the photo? Am I only allowed x photos to post? Do I need to go into my history and delete some other photos?
    From the Home screen > 'Subscribe' tab:

screenshot.1918.jpg

To verify which level you're at:

Header, upper rt - 'Settings' button takes you to your settings;
    Click 'Paid Subscription' in the 'My Settings' box - shows which level you've subscribed to.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

^^^
    How do I find out how many MB I've used?
    How do I delete some old photos?
    1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUSMHLY View Post
    ^^^
    How do I find out how many MB I've used?
    How do I delete some old photos?
    Get to your 'My Settings' box per previous post. Under 'Miscellaneous', click 'Attachments'.
    [Attachments list appears - with your total Mb of data at top of page]
    Scroll down and check off attachments you wish to delete:

screenshot.1919.jpg
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

15. The Following User Says Thank You to steveg For This Useful Post:

Editor_Reid  (10-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ausmhly, looks promising. My BN6 does not have the same access opening (see pic), so a hole would have to be drilled. I will give it more thought and discuss with the PDR technician.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Your PDR guy might try from the front wheel. I have access between the wheel well and the wing. I can get all three of these rods there. There seems to be in inner brace at the dent location that provides leverage right there.
    If not, then have him look into drilling a hole where I suggested in the wing at the door entrance.

IMG_2628.jpgIMG_2627.jpgIMG_2630.jpeg
    1964 BJ8 phase II