• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Non-Adjustable steering column questions

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi All,

I have a non-adjustable steering column in my Healey (BN6) and there are no set-screws on the steering wheel hub (original steering wheel). To begin the removal of my steering wheel do I just pry off the horn button to reveal the single nut that holds the steering wheel on or is there some other method needed to gain access?

This will begin the process of removing my steering box to be sent out for a cleaning and rebuild.

After reviewing the many posts on this Forum, I’m a little confused how things differ with the non-adjustable one vs. the more common adjustable one. I’ve seen lots of pictures of the trafficator for the adjustable steering column that show a short (10 to 12 inch) long tube(stator tube?) that the wiring goes through. Then I see references to a much longer tube for the non-adjustable trafficator but I’ve found no pictures of it nor mention of the removal process.

So, when I remove the trafficator on my non-adjustable steering Healey what should I expect to find? A long (stator?) tube or a short one? Does the non-adjustable steering column have a stator tube that travels all the way to the steering box?

Any advice, guidance and pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Chet

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Send a photo of your wheel, especially the part that goes toward the dash, since that will show whether it is telescoping or not. Adjustable wheel will have a collar and a spiral band.
Bob

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Chet,
On the non-adjustable wheel, the long, one piece stator tube is attached at the back of the horn button/directional switch.
Disconnect the wires at the lower part of the steering box. They will remain in the stator as it is removed.
Be ready to catch any oil from the steering box when you next remove the lower nut and olive at the bottom. I usually tape the wires together, with a long stiff wire that I leave in the steering column to aid in reassembly. Draw the horn push/stator assembly up and out, leaving the guide wire in the steering column ( long enough to grab at the lower end when you put everything back ).
You should now see the steering wheel nut and the self-cancelling parts.
Good luck.
Bob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The size and shape of the horn button is a good identifier. Non-adjustable #43 is larger than adjustable #37.
screenshot.1889.jpg

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Looks like I just pry the horn button out of the trafficator to gain access to the nut holding the steering wheel on...is that correct?

Thanks everyone!
Chet

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No, prying the horn button out only gets you to the horn contacts. You have to undo the olive at the far end of the steering gear and pull the stator tube withe the trafficator and horn circuit out through the steering wheel. Then you can get to the nut holing the wheel.

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Getting ready to replace my steering wheel. Here's a picture of what the bottom of my steering box looks like (non-adjustible steering). My question is do I just unscrew the nut that has the tube with the wires going in to it (red circle) and then the entire trafficator and (long) stator tube comes out on the steering wheel side? Or are there other components that are not visible and need to be removed?

If the stator tube does not move after the nut is removed what method should I use to free it up?

Thanks!
Chet

IMG_0082.jpg

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G'day Chet,
Be sure not to cut the wires, they should unsnap and be different lengths to allow them through the stator tube (which you will not be needing to do). The stator tube is held in place with a brass compression fitting, sometimes referred to as an "olive". When tightened, the taper inside that circled nut compresses the olive onto the tube, thus clamping it in place. Once the nut is released, you will see the olive. If it does not slide off the tube gentle manipulation should get it loose. Bob's advice about taping the cables is good, this prevents the cables from getting soiled as they pass through the steering box.
Cheers,
Alwyn

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Actually sounds easier to pull out than if I had the shorter stator tube that goes with the adjustable steering!

Thanks!
Chet

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thought of one additional question. Since the entire stator tube is being removed in one piece with the trafficator still in place and the wires "stationary" inside the stator is there still the possibility of gear oil leaking out of the steering box when the compression nut and/or olive is removed?

Chet

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Chet,
yes, I think it is simpler than the adjustable version. As Bob mentioned, yes there will be some leakage when the stator tube is withdrawn. It depends on the grade of lubricant that is in use. I have placed a small container underneath the opening and have never had an overflow.
Cheers,
Alwyn

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello all,

Having successfully removed my non-adjustable trafficator and steering wheel I figured I would post some pics of the trafficator and stator tube in case someone else needs that info.
Bob, it was exactly as you described it :smile:

IMG_0368.jpg
View attachment 61902