• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rotating shift lever

cdharter3

Freshman Member
Country flag
My early (56) TR3 has a shift lever that will rotate. Once it rotates, i can no longer shift except into 1st gear. I have to think there is something like a bolt or pin at the base of the shift lever that stops it from turning in its socket. This may be obvious if I remove the cap holding the lever, but we all know about the number of things that need to removed from the interior to get to the bottom of the shift lever. Any insight is appreciated.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Right, should be a long bolt that goes through the shift lever and both sides of the cap and extension, which holds it straight. Bolt should be obvious if you just remove the rubber boot.
wfKUdnl.jpg

Is there any chance you have a later gearbox fitted (or the top cover from one) with a TR3 lever installed? Later cars (starting with TR5/250 IIRC) used a different arrangement, with pegs and slots rather than the bolt all the way through. An early lever in a later top cover might cause your symptom.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OP
C

cdharter3

Freshman Member
Country flag
I didn't even think about just removing the rubber boot. Great idea. And yes, it appears i don't have that bolt installed. I will check it out. Thanks much!

OP
C

cdharter3

Freshman Member
Country flag
Regarding parts 10 and 11, my impression is that those are parts that were added (via engineering change) just after the production of my car. They were obviously added to stop the lever from rattling in its socket. And yes, mine rattles. I bought the parts to eventually install at some later date. Perhaps that later date has arrived. I assume I will need to drill and tap a hole for the spring and screw.

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
It has been discussed on here that adding a short length of rubber hose under the cap will tighten thing up and stop the rattle.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I would say if the shifter goes all the way around then the shifter is busted. The narrow section on the bottom keys into the leakage with flat side, and I do think it will go around and around if it is in one piece still. I could wrong. Being broke would also not let the car shift into other gears, my guess.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Possible, if you have an early car. They were introduced at TS9593 according to the SPC. The whole shift lever changed at the same time.

Kind of tricky to add that hole, IMO, get the depth and angle just right. Strikes me as easier to just find a later shift lever.

It's not tapped, though.

I would probably try the rubber hose first (which was factory recommended), along with lots of heavy grease.

Regarding parts 10 and 11, my impression is that those are parts that were added (via engineering change) just after the production of my car. They were obviously added to stop the lever from rattling in its socket. And yes, mine rattles. I bought the parts to eventually install at some later date. Perhaps that later date has arrived. I assume I will need to drill and tap a hole for the spring and screw.

OP
C

cdharter3

Freshman Member
Country flag
It has been discussed on here that adding a short length of rubber hose under the cap will tighten thing up and stop the rattle.

I am very intrigued by this "rubber hose" idea, but not clear on how that would be applied. Any details would be appreciated.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CBvP9YU.jpg