• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bi-Specticles

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
I want to put fender mirrors on my TR3A, mostly cause they look cool, but I'd like them to work.
Do those of you who have them like flat mirrors or convex?
Secondly are the mirrors at Moss Motors authentic ?

Thanks
Steve

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have one flat mirror on the drivers side and find it almost totally useless as an aid to see behind me. I gather the original mirrors were convex.

I have a convex mirror mounted on the windshield support that works great. It is exactly where my eye goes to check behind me.I got it from Holden Vintage and classic UK
https://www.holden.co.uk

I can not comment on the Moss mirrors but I could not find any that matched the mirror that came with my car.

David
Mirror on windshield support.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've tried flat, they were useless. Convex I find quite useful; but a bit of a pain to keep adjusted. Pedestrians (including me) have a bad tendency to bump them, and of course you can't adjust them while sitting in the driver's seat.

Wing mirrors were strictly dealer-fitted accessories, and apparently not terribly popular. Anyway, none of the period ads I've got show them fitted, except for one AMCO ad
ZeetMcH.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have wing mirrors and both of them are convex. I had a flat one on the driver's side, but it just wasn't enough coverage, especially if it wasn't adjusted just perfectly. I also added a mirror replacing one of the stanchion screws (works only on post 60K cars) with a 'Harley-Davidson' mirror available on ebay. You need the right side. The threads on the mirror are the same as the stanchion screws, 5/16"-24, and will screw right in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-RIGHT-SIDE-ROUND-MIRROR-FOR-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-1965-UP/123730647718?epid=220502341&hash=item1cceebdaa6:g:wZMAAOxy14VRNlqI

DSD_1541s.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely convex...but every TR I’ve owned had signs of the mirrors being ripped out 2-3 times. They tend to get knocked a lot.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Steve I discover this site after I paid up for some very nice almost NOS mirrors. I started looking for these mirrors because the project car I bought had them on it, and later found out they are period correct and made in England after I broke them. Anyways these mirrors flex and do break at the shaft when hit plus researching I found a lot of old pictures with these mirrors on the cars. They are made in England and perhaps have better quality than the Chinese stuff. The ones listed are less expensive than the ones I bought NOS and they look the same, but again I do not know for sure.

https://texautomotive.com/classic_exterior_mirrors.html

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The ones I have are the MR107C --however, I think the most common are the Lucas style and I would have probably purchased the Lucas style if I would have known about the sight earlier--- either one would be fine plus there are more choices that would be fine—but yes the Lucas style is what you see most the time.

MR107F
Flat Glass
MR107C
Convex Glass

woodeye3

Freshman Member
Is there a similar mirror for the left side. I could only find one for rt side. other sellers have both but arn't as nice looking.

Opps thought I was responding to Matrix-5 about mirrors for Harley Davidson. I already have the wing mirrors and find them almost useless

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Opps thought I was responding to Matrix-5 about mirrors for Harley Davidson.

The "Reply with Quote" button is your friend when responding to a particular post. Helps avoid confusion, especially when someone else is typing a reply at the same time you are.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Is there a similar mirror for the left side. I could only find one for rt side. other sellers have both but arn't as nice looking.

Opps thought I was responding to Matrix-5 about mirrors for Harley Davidson. I already have the wing mirrors and find them almost useless

Yeah, the same guy has the other (left) side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-LEF...554554&hash=item2f32ee10bc:g:4YwAAOxyY9VRNlj0

However, when I was riding around the other day, I decided that even though the Harley mirror is better because it is closer, I still would have preferred a convex mirror in that spot. So, I went back to the original set-up I had which uses a right side convex wing mirror. I cut the original stud off, drilled and tapped where I cut it off and inserted a longer 5/16"-24 stud so it would screw into the stanchion hole. I originally took it off because it was short and felt it might be easier to see if it stuck out farther. But, the Harley mirror, not being convex didn't work so well for me. Also, the threads on the Harley mirror are a bit undersized, 0.302" vs 0.308" or 0.309" that most 5/16"-24 hardware measures, and don't fit as well as I would have liked.

DSC_3263s.jpg DSC_3275s.jpg

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I installed the flat mirrors on both fenders and like them.
I will say they are not for someone who drives at night .The first time I was out later than expected I found with a car/suv behind you with their lights on its like having two spotlights on your fenders pointing directly at your face.Blinding light.
Tom