• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I-Pad woes

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Son bought me an I-Pad last year. I've never been able to use it. My wife uses hers every day. Mine seems to be different - older than hers. I can't even get my emails - keeps wanting passwords and codes. I give them and still no action. This thing will make a swell paperweight. Anyone else use one or have any trouble?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No problems when I make a call. Never lost an email either.

Phone.jpg

Try calling Central first. Ask for Heaven.

(anybody remember that?)

https://youtu.be/FhahxDLdRDA

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Why don't you take it into an Apple store and they can help you get it setup to receive your email.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - a guy I work with took his iPad to the Apple store to *delete* the email app. Said he didn't want the phone to rule his life.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot - a guy I work with took his iPad to the Apple store to *delete* the email app. Said he didn't want the phone to rule his life.
I don't think you can delete the Apple email app as I think it is part of the operating system. If your colleague didn't want to use the email function he could just not bother to set it up.

D

Deleted member 8987

No...you can delete it. Ten pound sledge.....everything else at the same time, but deleted none the less!

I just can't see doing up to date techology. Told my wife. She did it, and guess who has to figure it out when she pushed the wrong button and borks the system?

None of it is intuitive like XP is.

Opinion

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
None of it is intuitive...

Fixed it for ya... :wink:

And if it IS intuitive, I wanna know WHOSE intuition???

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One of my clients, a retail store, decided iPads would be good as Point-of-Sale devices. Only 'issue' was they also wanted to tie them into their LAN... guess who had to figure out how to get the things to play nice with a predominantly Micro$oft LAN setup. Wirelessly. And transfer photos from them, of pieces they sell, onto the server. Getting into the setup menues was easy enough but getting them to accept a static I.P. and Class-C setup was hateful.

I was not consulted before they bought two of those pads, I spent hours going through apps, getting them to address servers, printers, et al. PITA!!!

D

Deleted member 8987

One of my clients, a retail store, decided iPads would be good as Point-of-Sale devices. Only 'issue' was they also wanted to tie them into their LAN... guess who had to figure out how to get the things to play nice with a predominantly Micro$oft LAN setup. Wirelessly. And transfer photos from them, of pieces they sell, onto the server. Getting into the setup menues was easy enough but getting them to accept a static I.P. and Class-C setup was hateful.

I was not consulted before they bought two of those pads, I spent hours going through apps, getting them to address servers, printers, et al. PITA!!!

Remember my reference to a ten pound sledge.

Country flag
Intuitive I think to those who spend days/weeks/months developing and updating apps. They're so familiar with it they know where everything is and what it does, simply because they wrote it. Kind of like your toolbox or junk drawers. Use them enough taking things out and putting things in, you know which on to go to for the pliers or the nails or who knows what. The rest of us would hunt and peck to find things. I personally believe that software developers don't often enough hand an app to someone who has been outside the loop and never seen it before and allowed them to use it like the outside world might. Then ask how easy it was to do their daily stuff. I see things all the time doing IT for big business where you wonder what they were thinking having awkward steps between functions or names on screens to use that most don't recognize.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My daughter got on right away without a password and read all recent emails of the 8,974 emails that are on there. Actual number.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Intuitive I think to those who spend days/weeks/months developing and updating apps."

Amen to that!

Of course, if they didn't spend all that time developing and updating, they wouldn't have jobs.