Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine stutter of rebuild BT7 engine (tri-carb) above 2500 rpm

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: engine stutter of rebuild BT7 engine (tri-carb) above 2500 rpm

I created a similar situation years ago when I over-oiled the OEM air filters after cleaning them. I somehow got enough oil on the wire mesh to restrict airflow and cause an over rich situation.
    Rob Glasgow

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    If you're getting that much oil in your rear air filter you should check your rocker shaft for wear. If it's spouting oil you're probably losing a PSI or two of oil pressure.
    Bob,
    I also wondered if there was an excess of oil coming from the valve cover vent, therefore I mounted a transparent tube. Until now it looks that there is no excess oil coming from the vent (it would be rather unfortunate if it did because the engine was totally overhauled a few thousand miles ago...). I guess it is due to mounting third party B quality air filters which I had to alter to fit the vent hose. The hose was probably too long and vented right onto the filter itself instead of into the body of the air filter.....
    I replaced the air filters with the "original" Coopers....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Maarten
    one suggestion learned on this forum:
    especially on tri-carbs the filter nuts are hard to get on and off. i drilled mine and put small cotter pins in them to hold them on. now if i want to remove, i can just pull the pins and they are off in a few seconds. once you drill, clean up the stud and you can still run a nut on them if you like later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Maarten, Remove the hose that goes from the valve cover vent to the rear carb. Put a 2" diameter filter on the "T" fitting of your valve cover vent as I show in the picture. Even if you don't want to keep running it this way this is a good test. With the filter installed drive your car for awhile. If the filter never gets saturated with oil then you don't have an over oiling problem. I have been running my BJ7 for more than 10 years with the hose removed from the rear carb and the 2" filter installed at the valve cover "T". I can cup that filter with my hand at anytime and my hand will stay oil free. I change it once a year. This method goes along way to help keep your rear spark plugs clean.
    If your spark plugs are blackened first figure out if they are blackened by oil or soot from a rich mixture. Soot usually has a softer, dryer appearance on the plug, oil has a shiner, harder caking appearance. As I said earlier I thought your problem might be your carb setting and I said a lean condition might be causing it. But a rich condition can cause it too. Your problem may very well be just a carb adustment. but get that hose off the rear air filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the few latest inputs....
    In regard of the black spark plugs.... The oil vent hose is disconnected now in a more or less similar way as "Vette" did and I retuned / synchronised the carbs again starting with the tip from "Steveg" by dropping each jet 1mm from the bridge and fine tuned from there...
    The car runs and drives fine now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Maarten
    Where did you end up on the depth of those seats? i think mine ended up .074. not sure now why i ended up there. i looked back at my notes after seeing steve's post of .040.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just measured it....I ended up at 0.67 ....the depth may vary from car to car because it's also dependend of needles and air filter used...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mengels View Post
    I just measured it....I ended up at 0.67 ....the depth may vary from car to car because it's also dependend of needles and air filter used...
    It's also dependant on the quality or lack there of of the intake stream / runners.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.