• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When did Google Maps become so faint?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have noticed for a while now if I print a google map the streets are almost invisible if you print a large scale map (4 or 5 city blocks).Seem to remember there use to be much more contrast on the maps. The Business names stand out and the street names are visible but the streets not so much.
Am I doing something wrong or is google saving ink?

David

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
You print google maps? Is that not the worst of both worlds :smile:

Sorry, could not resist, in light of previous polite debates on ipads vs paper books!

I have not printed from google maps in a long time... sorry I can't contribute to the conversation beyond a snide remark!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I am old school and like to mark up maps. Paper maps when you can read them do not suffer with low battery either.

I obviously have not printed out a map in a while either. Going t a car show and wanted a large scale local map.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I still carry around my Rand-McNally road atlas from 1988. It is also what I used to win the virtual rally twice.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I was very pleasantly surprise when I made my annual visit to my State Farm agent and they had a large atlas again. I laid out many Healey trips using a large atlas. Never could get use to the little ones.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am rather fond of the old fashioned large road atlases. I wish they were still as easy to find as they used to be.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Used Google Maps to locate an address of a new client a couple weeks ago, hit 'print' just to have a physical map. It was pointing to a wrong location. Got me to the right complex, right street, just not the right building. And yeah, it was nearly impossible to see the streets, as they were light gray to nonexistent.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Large atlas is avaiable but have to order online. I did see them at Barns and Noble.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Large atlas is available but have to order online. I did see them at Barns and Noble.

That is what I did... Amazon. Great road trip piece - I rarely/never use it to navigate, but use it all the time to tell me where I am. (Does that make sense? Google Maps on the iphone is way more efficient at routing and avoiding traffic, but it won't tell me I am in the middle of XX national forest, or near the YY river, or other items of interest.)

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Maps on your phone/GPS are like looking through a keyhole to check out a room.

David

Fully agree... google maps on the phone is really for getting directions. A paper road atlas is for looking at and studying.

But I'd say google maps are like "listening" to the room through the keyhole... IMO the main advantage of google maps is the verbal instructions. I don't want to squint at the screen while driving - just like I don't want to study a map while driving.

(No experience in the keyhole listening :smile: )

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have been told that placing an empty glass on the door helps with sound transmission through the door.

David

Fully agree... google maps on the phone is really for getting directions. A paper road atlas is for looking at and studying.

But I'd say google maps are like "listening" to the room through the keyhole... IMO the main advantage of google maps is the verbal instructions. I don't want to squint at the screen while driving - just like I don't want to study a map while driving.

(No experience in the keyhole listening :smile: )

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David said:
I have been told that placing an empty glass on the door helps with sound transmission through the door.

An empty paper cup works much better... jus' sayin'. :smirk:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I hate having that annoying voice telling me what to do. I much prefer looking a place up on paper maps and plotting my own routes.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:encouragement:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I hate having that annoying voice telling me what to do. I much prefer looking a place up on paper maps and plotting my own routes.

I do like my Garmin GPS unit - but sometimes the voice does get annoying, especially if I'm trying to have a conversation as I'm driving. Thankfully, I can mute it with the touch of a button. It is mostly accurate, but every now and then it gets me off track - not often though.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Printed maps don’t give you real-time traffic so you can re-route if needed.