Thread: Clutch issues

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clutch issues

I've only owned my 1973 TR6 since Spring this year and I'm slowly addressing issues. The most irritating now is clutch related. Everything is fine on a cold engine, but once things warm up, I have difficulty shifting, including shifting into 1st from a dead stop. I'm guessing that the clutch is not fully disengaging, but not sure why it's not a problem with a cold system. Of course I tried bleeding at the slave cylinder, but that did not help the situation. I've also got a situation where one of the cylinders always sticks briefly when bringing my foot off the pedal. The cost of both new master and slave cylinders isn't so bad as to lead me to simply replacing both for that issue. I would think that would cure the stickiness, but not sure it will solve the heat related issue. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: Clutch issues

Welcome to the TR6 club! I had a similar condition (difficult gear operation at operating temp) and discounted a broken clutch fork pin because the car had 22K original miles. But after nothing else fixed it, that's what it turned out to be. I replaced the fork pin and added a 1/4" roll pin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Does the clutch engage right at the floor when it is working? If so, your problem might be as simple as accumulated wear at all the linkage pivot points.
    The TR6 doesn't have a lot of allowance for wear, and oiling the pivots is often overlooked. The pins are easy to replace, but the holes wear too.
    On my Stag, the holes in the pedal were worn so badly that I had to ream and fit an oversize pin. Another option would be to weld the hole, then drill and ream to original size; which is what I'll do next time.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Gents. It does in fact engage just off the floorboard, so I'll go back and look for wear. I'm also thinking about the clutch fork pin as that might explain the way the clutch briefly hangs and pops into engagement (not a sticky master/slave cylinder). Ugh, was hoping to avoid pulling the gearbox for awhile...
    Last edited by Ribbs; 09-05-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Correction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

The sticking part is probably a different issue (also common to TR6). There is a good article on the Buckeye site with a fairly extensive investigation and specific suggestions for a solution.
    https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/s/StickyClutch-9dgc.pdf

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great in-depth article on a likely problem - and now I know about TRF and the Buckeye site!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Something else worth checking sooner rather than later is crankshaft end float. The half-thrust washer is a known weak spot in the TR6, and can wear so badly that it becomes a clutch issue.

For a quick and dirty check, let the engine idle in neutral for a moment, then shut it off and watch the front pulley carefully while some one else pushes the clutch for you. If you can see any movement at all, you have a problem.

In extreme cases, the thrust washer half can fall into the pan, which suddenly takes it from a relatively minor repair to a major one. If you can see movement, I suggest not driving the car at all until you can investigate further. Once the TW falls out, the crankshaft starts eating its way into the block, to the detriment of both of them.