• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Body Mounting Strip Adhesive

Joel M

Country flag
What's a good adhesive to use to attach the 6 body mounting strips (from TRF) to the frame? I just tried to glue them using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, and let's just say it was an unmitigated disaster. The strips curled up on all the long edges and would not stay down. The manual says to use Bostick C (unavailable in the US?), but I thought the 3M adhesive would be a good alternative. It was not. Any ideas?

Joel

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I used a small amount of the contact cement you can get at Lows or Home Depot. Comes in a can. I used Weather strip adhesive on the boot seal and it did not work too well. Went back to contact cement.

David

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Contact cement...Wellwood in the jar because that's what I had laying around.

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
Thanks for the advice, all. I picked up some Weldwood contact cement from Lowe's this afternoon, and it worked great!

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you car has unknown history....Be aware that you may need varying thicknesses of mount strips to compensate for any body or chassis twist that may have occurred in the past.
Whilst on the ground with the chassis weighted...Check the door gaps especially before bolting the body down securely.

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
I'm actually getting ready to post a request for advice on the steps I need to follow for the required body work (inner and outer sill replacement). Regarding the strips, I just glued down what I believe was there previously and also shown in the manual. I may have jumped the gun, but the history of the car is fairly well know. My father purchased it brand new in 1960.

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
Thanks for the link David, I will reach out to them for availability and cost.

The floor pans do have some rust, but they seem sturdy. My plan was to blast them after they are removed for inner sill replacement, and then make a determination if they can be re-used. Although I'm not entirely sure if I can remove them without damaging beyond they point of re-use.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
They can be a bit slow with their e mail responses. Price I got for the seat pan was good.

If the floor pans are not too bad you may be able to cut a piece from a new pan and save having to remove the complete thing.

I gather the best practice is to remove one floor pan or inner sill at a time to retain the body integrity.
Brace the door gaps to prevent movement. Can make it a PITB working around the braces but beats having to try to get the gaps correct again.
Rodger Williams book "How to restore a TR2, 3, 3A, 4 and 4A" goes into the body bracing.
David

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
Thanks David! I'm about to submit a post with pictures and a draft plan that lay out what I'm thinking. I hope you will read and give me your feedback. This is the first body restoration I have done, so I would appreciate your advice.