• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Some songs

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just take you back to a very specific time. I remember clearly the first time I heard this song, I was a young airman at Keesler AFB, MS. This had always been one of my all-time favorites from that era.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - I wasn't on the QE2 when I first heard it!

It was in my crummy one-room apartment, a block east of campus, when I was a sophomore at college. Had a Sony mini-TV, and I think it was on the Ed Sullivan show.

Anyway, *lots* of memories there! (including some which shall remain "classified")
Tom M.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
In the early 70s we had a wealth of talent with Carly Simon, Carole King, and Joni Mitchell. All sort of sort of filling the same niche of singing realistic songs about love and life on those fantastic days of album oriented rock on FM radio. Then you also had Karen Carpenter, mostly singing AM fluff, but with so much talent and beauty in her voice that it really bcame more than that. I sort of consider it a golden era for solo female singers.

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Back then all artists had to rise on their own merits now I gather it is what the marketing people think we need to hear.

Would the likes of Johnny Cash make it today?

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Back then all artists had to rise on their own merits now I gather it is what the marketing people think we need to hear.

Would the likes of Johnny Cash make it today?

David

not really - remember the payola scandal (and the Monkees) - marketing has always been around. Even the classical composers depended on patronage.

Coming back though to Carly, Basil, I bet you thought the song was about you. :grin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Coming back though to Carly, Basil, I bet you thought the song was about you. :grin:

WOW! Didn't know Basil could gavotte...

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Another great Carly live performance. Sounds as good (or better) than the studio version IMHO

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Is there any real music around today? Our ukulele meetups play songs from the late 1930s to the 1990's, Beatles, Carole King, Jimmy Buffett,...

Country flag
Well, I'd say that's the question of real music is subjective. And I say that as someone with a music stick with around 3500 songs/concerts/albums on it. Going from Gregorian chant to things released this year. I have Sinatra, although I prefer 30s/40s when he was still a crooner. Lots of 60s and 70s when I was young. I even have developed a soft spot for some disco, that I despised when it was current... 30s swing, pre-WW1 ragtime, The classics of Bach, Mozart and others, and things done by artists who could be my kids. P!nk channeling Janis doing "Me and Bobby McGee" for example, Or Ed Sheeran from England. And how about a young girl named Alma Deutscher who at 14 is a violin and piano/organ music writer and performer some call the next Mozart.

Places like Youtube have opened a window to performers we might never have encountered before, some quite wonderful, others not so much. But to say like prior generations there's nothing real out there now I think is to be somewhat close minded.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, I'd say that's the question of real music is subjective. And I say that as someone with a music stick with around 3500 songs/concerts/albums on it. Going from Gregorian chant to things released this year

Slacker! Iโ€™ve got over 8300 songs in my iTunes library (this includes digital copies of all my vinyl and CDs). Like you, I have stuff from every conceivable genre and decade (I have Gregorian Chants too). From Beethoven to AC/DC to ZZtop

Country flag
When I plug in the headphones at work I have had a tendency when someone stops in my cube to play name that artist or tune. Most fun with the younger crowd who have no idea who must of the 80s and before groups/songs are. What I call my "dinosaur" mode.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have a little under 4000 on my Ipod, I am not sure what that'd jump up to if I digitized all my cassettes, 8-tracks, LPs, 45s, 78s, and wax cylinders.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Regarding Doc's post, I saw the same piano, apparently in a tube in London(?) being played in a long YouTube post last week. In addition to good playing of numerous categories of music, I was impressed by the paucity of obesity among the scores of passersby.
Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bob said:
I was impressed by the paucity of obesity among the scores of passersby.
Bob

Wife returned from a trip to Israel a few months back, had the same observation.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Speaking of eclectic tastes in music, here is a brief video of my screen saver, which pulls in random album covers from my iTunes collection. Recognize any of this (very small) sample of my collection?