• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wood dash & center console examples

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
First, after reading some past forum posts, I fully appreciate that putting wood on a TR3 dash is not to everyone's taste (I think I read "ugly" in one post). I respect your opinions as I have the same opinion of the black wrinkle paint that many of the cars came with. That's what makes the world so awesome - to each their own! Saying that, I'm looking to add a little pizzazz to my now vinyl covered center dash console and am looking at adding wood veneer. For those who've gone this route or fully replaced the entire dash with wood, could you please post some examples of your car dash so I can see what I'm thinking of getting into?

Many thanks,

Bill
Triumph TR3A
TS63273L

TR3MT

Bronze
Country flag
Hey Bill--I installed a solid oak dash on my TR3A when I restored it and think they look really classic in any English sports car. I know it is not original, but I have the original dash if any future owner wants to replace it. I will send you a photo as soon as I can get a pix and learn how to post it. I got my TR3A new 60 years ago and the dash is the only thing not original.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill,
If I'm reading your post correctly, you're plan is to do the "center dash console" only.
If so, the easy way to go is to strip the center facia down to bare metal, both sides.
You can purchase quality wood veneer from any woodworking shop in infinite variety.
The instructions for wood to wood application will apply to wood to metal except you
should use original type contact cement. This method doesn't require any modifications
to the gauges. Two things: paint the back of the facia white and fit a dedicated ground
to the fuel gauge. (well, maybe one modification)

Frank

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
When I first purchased my tr3, it had some door skin over and on the center console for the wood look; the stuff is skinny enough yet strong and no mods needed just trace and cut. You can purchase door skin in all flavors and it is easy to get at old school quality lumber stores. About 15 years ago I took the skin off and went back to wrinkle paint.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Here's a photo of a wood dash that I took 25 or 30 years ago at a show. Nice, straight grain wood, and not over-the-top ornate the way so many wood dashes are. Very understated and Morgan-like.

Also, if you want a veneer wood covering for just the center crinkle-finish panel, there's a firm called something like "CGI Autowood" that advertises on ebay. They have various grain patterns available, and when you find one of their listings, just click the link for "see seller's other items" and you can see their Triumph listings.

Dash2.jpg

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks to all that responded. To others who didn’t because you think I’m nuts, thanks to you too. :smile:

CGI is the company I’ve been looking at. Since my console is vinyl covered now, it would be easy to revert back if I don’t like the wood grain. I might just use a spare console I have out in the garage too....although changing all the gauges is a bit of a chore.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I looked at the CGI center dash wood a while ago, but if memory serves, it might be cut to slip right over the gauges and their rims, without having to remove them all. Might still have to fiddle with the switch escutcheons, though.