• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More aircraft

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - thanks for the link. I'd never heard of Pearse before.

Take a look at this, another in the "flew before the Wright brothers" stories.

Again, lots of shaky assumptions and holes to poke.

Tom m.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Probably shouldn't say it having a Wright Brothers award, but I believe Gustave did make a short powered flight. Regardless how short of time he was in the air, and the prop's were turning taking the aircraft further than a glider flight, even if only a few feet further, it's powered flight. Been nice if it was filmed. Like who was the first to fly the Atlantic, controversy there also. :smile-new:
View attachment 60259

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Very interesting.

Back then just getting it photographed was a challenge let alone on film.

I suppose some would argue that the Wright Brothers invented the control systems that are mostly still in use today. Ailerons rudder and elevator.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Wrights didn't use ailerons though, they used wing warping. I believe it was Curtis who invented the aileron. Whether or not they were really the first to make a flight they were certainly the first to make it commercially viable.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did a TDY to Kitty Hawk in '73 for the 70th anniversary. Learned then that they made a wind tunnel to test models and that they cast their own engine blocks. First or not, they did some remarkable stuff.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I guess if Icarus didn't fly too close to the sun, he would have been the first to fly! :encouragement: :jester: Ok, I'm just a nut on Greek mythology. :cool-new:

View attachment 60303

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I came across this video on YouTube. These are truly some odd duck planes.