Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tackling the biggest problem with my TR4A.... Frame Damage :(

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Tackling the biggest problem with my TR4A.... Frame Damage :(

Thoughts on repair-ability of this frame?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Triump...EAAOSw44BYOewa

I do have a good friend with a fabrication shop that could easily take care of replacing the rusted out sections on this frame and add some reinforcements. The T-shirt and trailing arm mounting areas appear ok. I'd obviously have to have the spring perch structure removed since my car is a Live axle.

The price is seems like a really good starting point but I'm worried that there could be more rot lurking under some of that rust.
    1965 TR4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I’ve got a TR6 frame at the farm that had a little poorly repaired damage to the driver side front that looks better than that frame and you can have it for free. I know it’s hard to wait to find what you need, but please wait for a really good frame. eBay, FB Marketplace, CL, etc. have them from time to time.
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a problem waiting. I'm just trying to get opinions on everything I come across from people more experienced than I

I'm still waiting on pictures from tirnipgreen so in the meantime I'm scouring the internet for other possibilities.
    1965 TR4A

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also take a look at the suspension components on the damaged side, there's a good chance that they are damaged / bent out of shape as well. They might be making the frame damage look worse than it appears.

Before you do anything take some careful measurements of both sides and compare, to see how much damage there really is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suspension components LOOK ok. I'd like to put the car up on jack stands and measure everything just to see how badly bent the frame is. I may attempt that this weekend.
    1965 TR4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm still on the lookout for a frame that is in decent shape, but in the mean time I've been taking some measurements and getting a closer look at the hack job that was done on my car.

It appears that the drivers side turret was replaced by putting the new one directly over the stump of the old one....
    You can see the remains of the original one below:

And look at how the distance from the lower control arm mount to the upper control arm mount differs from side to side.

Good side:

Bad Side:

The drivers side upper control arm is 1/2" higher than the passenger side.

The rest of the frame looks in good shape. I still need to finish marking the floor using the plumb bob and taking all the measurements to confirm that the rest of the frame is strait If I decide to replace the bad section or not...
    I'm still leaning towards finding a known good frame but finding one will probably be time consuming.
    1965 TR4A

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Repair if frame still square.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Finding a good frame may be time consuming, but you can not imagine the time it will take to remove the spring tower. repair it and get it aligned and re welded. If you decide to do the repair resist the temptation to cut anything except the welds that attach it to the frame. You can remove it with 4" grinder with cutoff wheels, dremel tool with cutoff wheels, Die grinder with carbide burrs and the most important tool is a saws all with long fine tooth blades to cut welds that the other tools can not get to. Removing the spring tower is a slow tedious job. This picture shows the spring tower in position to be re attached. 2 lasers . plumb bobs, jigs, clamps and turnbuckles to hold it in position and be able to check the alignment as it is tacked and after it is tacked and all measurements are confirmed then it was welded. I did it just for the experience, I learned a lot along the way. If you can find a good frame you will be way ahead , a much easier road to take. Having trouble attaching picture. I will post it as soon as I can.
    Frank
    1960 TR3A TS61324
    rust bucket, work in progress, future road warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely not considering replacing just the turret. The underlying frame is mangled enough that I think the whole corner needs to be replaced with a salvaged portion from another frame. As much as I'd like to do all of this myself and use it as a learning experience I'm not sure I'm entirely up to the task. I do have a friend that owns a fab shop that could do it for me.

Being able to move components from the bad frame to a known good frame seems the most appealing to me and also could potentially come with less surprises vs trying to repair my current one.

Regardless what I end up doing, I do really appreciate all the helpful advice!
    1965 TR4A

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

When I look at the fulcrum pins that hold the wishbones, the upper shaft looks bent that inch, probably the camera angle. Have you tried a front end shop and asked them what they think? Perhaps they can make things a little better. Heck that might be the most reasonable way to fix something like that I do not knw, and it sounds like any repair other than a super get into it with the tub off and a lot of experience is going to fall short. Maybe you can get it fix so it stops eating tires, and take you time finding a NEWer frame. I bet one comes up on your local C-list every 12 months or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is definitely the camera angle.

This is a prime example of a hackjob repair. Some other examples of what is wrong on the repaired side is the turret rubs against the steering rack boot while the good side has 1/4" of clearance. The rear angled turret support is 1/2" longer on the repaired side filled with weld to close the gap than the good side. The rear lower A arm mount is missing the reinforcement that the good side has. You can still see where it used to be on the top and outside of the frame. And the frame rails themselves are still mangled as you can see on the first post. So I think replacing the whole section or getting a "new" frame is in order.

Both options require the tub off the frame. Logistically for me a replacement frame makes the most sense. I just wish I could justify and afford a rat-co frame....
    1965 TR4A

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think I am having to resize my pictures. Hope this works. A little late but , I think you have made the right decision
    IMG_0269 (1).jpg
    Frank
    1960 TR3A TS61324
    rust bucket, work in progress, future road warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Canale View Post
    I think I am having to resize my pictures. Hope this works. A little late but , I think you have made the right decision
    IMG_0269 (1).jpg
    I remember coming across your post with these pictures before. Going that route is probably more ambitious that I want to deal with at this point.
    1965 TR4A