• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Next Gen

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My 4 year old grandson came to visit a few weeks ago. Whenever he comes he wants to see "grandpa's car".
If I can figure out how to add voice recognition, hands-free driving, self-parking and throw in lane departure monitoring he might be able to drive it when he gets his license.

IMG_3943.jpg
IMG_3944.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Great looking kid! (and car too)

When you teach him to drive in that TR of yours, he'll be prepared for just about anything in life. Teach kids to drive in today's autonomic four-wheeled self-guiding gizmos, and they'll be prepared for ... for ... well, "if you give me a week I might think of something". (With apologies to D. Eisenhower)

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thank you Tom. He already asked me "what this thing is for?" Referring to the stick shift. I had to dig deep to offer an answer when he has no concept of how cars work but we got through it!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - I've never even seen a Lambretta in real life. How does the engine cooling work? Doesn't look like there's much air flow around that engine area.

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You are correct Tom... the engine is pretty much covered by the body. The flywheel incorporates fins that act as fan blades. Then there are two cowling covers that duct the airflow around the cylinder head. Never had an overheat situation.
The red Lambretta is a 1963 which I bought used in 1969 and drove it all through college. The two-tone gray one is a 1959. Both of them have recently be upgraded to electronic ignition.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot, every time I see your Lambrettas I start hearing "Never on a Sunday" going thru my head. :wink:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot, every time I see your Lambrettas I start hearing "Never on a Sunday" going thru my head. :wink:
Here you go doc.... yowsa!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:arms:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thank you Tom. He already asked me "what this thing is for?" Referring to the stick shift. I had to dig deep to offer an answer when he has no concept of how cars work but we got through it!

Nice to see a topic "Next Gen" that isn't about the latest iPhone :emmersed:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey, I have a 5s.... it is SO old.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Ya gotta spend more money, Elliot!

(Says th' guy using a Motorola "Flip-Phone")

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here you go doc.... yowsa!

I don't think a lot of people know that Merlina Mercouri became a politician (in Greece).
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melina_Mercouri [/FONT]

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Better.... it’s a Lambretta. I have two of them.

Very nice!! (I should have known it was a Lammy from the cowl!!) I had a Vespa (GLA), but sold it earlier this summer. A lot of fun, and often I wish I still had it. But it was not getting the miles it needed, plus we were relocating from PIT to BOS, and I sold it to a fellow from Germany who has a nice collection. A Lambretta might be better suited for daily use; I have heard they are more performance oriented (but have never ridden one). My Vespa could sometimes not get out of its own way... not terrible, just above 35 mph the acceleration was not all that exciting. 35 in today's traffic is just above a snail's pace.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Both of my Lammy’s will do 60 mph. I usually keep it around 50 mph.

Country flag
Learning to drive with an actual stick, as opposed to those automatically added things like paddles, should be a life lesson for everyone. Involving both feet and hands illustrates what driving is all about, that complete interaction with moving from point A to B. No texting, no swiping left or right, no nothing but the experience of moving down the road. You have that connection to the wider world that so many are missing these days. I firmly believe that requiring your mind to interact with what’s around you rather than what’s on a screen in front of you will in the long run make better, more socially able people.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Learning to drive with an actual stick, as opposed to those automatically added things like paddles, should be a life lesson for everyone. Involving both feet and hands illustrates what driving is all about, that complete interaction with moving from point A to B. No texting, no swiping left or right, no nothing but the experience of moving down the road. You have that connection to the wider world that so many are missing these days. I firmly believe that requiring your mind to interact with what’s around you rather than what’s on a screen in front of you will in the long run make better, more socially able people.

Agreed; we could add the hand-clutch and transmission of a Lambretta / Vespa to the list as well!! (I think the Lambretta has a hand-operated gearshift??) As well as the acute awareness of a riding on two wheels (moped, scooter, or motorcycle); no matter who is at fault you will feel the brunt of the pain!!