• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 turn signal puzzle

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
My left turn signal on my 76 TR6 quite working. The right turn signal flashes, but the left one just lights up but no flashing. When I turn on my hazard lights, all four lamps flash. Looking at Dan Masters schematics for the 76 TR6 it shows the signal flasher as the source for both the right and left lamps. After studying the schematic, it appears to me that the problem has to be in the turn signal switch. I don't want to invest in parts I don't need; has anybody else run into this problem? Thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Do the lights come on as well, when you select left turn? If so, it's more likely to be a poor connection somewhere, or even a corroded wire.

The turn flasher is deliberately sensitive to current through the lamps, so you can tell from the driver's seat if one is burned out. If it sees less current than it expects (but more than a burned out bulb), it may do strange things like not flash (or sometimes flash very quickly).

The hazard flasher is not load-sensitive, so doesn't suffer the same problem.

The poor connection could be in the switch, but I wouldn't replace it just on that.

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Randall:
I was thinking a poor connection in the switch, but I didn't know whether the lights would still light up. When it gets darker, I will check the turn signal lights and see if one side is dimmer then the other. All of my lights are pretty dim at night. The dash lights are hard to see and I use the headlight brights to see the road. I checked the alternator and it's putting out the required voltage. The good old Prince of Darkness!

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If one or more of the signal lights come on, but just don't flash, it probably isn't the switch.

If one or more signal lamps doesn't come on at all, start there. Check bulb, socket, and ground, and wiring in that order.

Ed

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Ed:

I ruled that out because all four lights come on and flash when I turn on the hazard switch.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Disassembling and cleaning the TR6 fuse box did a world of wonders for my long-slumbering ‘74 TR6...
eliminated many electrical gremlins.

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I'll give that try Kevin; now neither side of the turn signals are working, but they all work with the hazard switch. Love these British cars.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You didn't substitute LED's for the regular filament bulbs in any of those sockets, did you ?

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
No, I didn't, Since the turn signals don't work at all now and the turn signal relay and switch both look like the originals, it's probably time for some new parts.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Terry, The Turn Signal Flasher gets power from the hazard switch when it is pushed in (or 'off'). Cycle it a few times and see if the light green/grey wire at the flasher has 12v. Old flasher units get flakey - you can bypass it by connecting the two light green wires together for testing the turn switch and circuits.

Do you have a test meter or light? There's lots of wiring connections that can cause problems. The switches can be cleaned up and usually made to work. The flasher units seem to get more erratic when messed with, but the metal cover can be carefully removed if you want to have a go. I've got spares of all those parts if you need.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the info Jeff, I have started to go through the troubleshooting sections in Dan Masters Electrical Maintenance Handbook. He covers the the TR6 pretty good.

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Update: Yesterday the turn signals didn't work, the fuel, voltage and temp gauges quite working and I was thinking of ordering parts. This morning I started troubleshooting the fuse box. All I did was check for voltage at the three fuses and they all checked out. I went and started up the car and all the electrical worked. Took it out for a spin and everything was still working. All I did was put my test probe on each side of the fuses. I'm going to clean up the fuse box and see what happens. Very frustrating.