• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

For the aircraft crowd

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

Attachments

• CCE748A5-C3B3-4C17-A91F-02041B6EC7CE.jpg
    CCE748A5-C3B3-4C17-A91F-02041B6EC7CE.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 49
  • E5E1F04E-1209-44F3-88CB-34092A9AC4A7.jpg
    E5E1F04E-1209-44F3-88CB-34092A9AC4A7.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 78441BF7-736B-40FC-B568-23D1A85CDE1A.jpg
    78441BF7-736B-40FC-B568-23D1A85CDE1A.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 08CD2BCB-E680-445D-9A31-DDB0249BD5A0.jpg
    08CD2BCB-E680-445D-9A31-DDB0249BD5A0.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm heading to an airshow on Saturday... it would be nice to see that Spitfire.

OP
donbmw

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
From the web site they are heading to Colorado.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just checked and you're right, the Spitfire won't be at the show in Pennsylvania but this Brit bad boy will be doing a show for the crowd.

sd_5cd17ed4b731b.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Once when I was a kid my dad and I were driving from Salida to the Springs, and this low rumble came through the sky and a Mustang and a Corsair came flying through the pass. When we arrived in Canon City we went by the airport outside of town and sure enough they had landed. They were being flown across country for a show and the pilots let us be looky loos before they refueled.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Walter, in early 1956 I was sent to Norman, Ok for maintenance training on F4Us, we had F4U-1As, same as Pappy Boyington flew, of course they were out dated after the 4s came out with much more horsepower, 4 bladed props and able to carry more hardware, but the basics were the same. We had to run them up every morning and cycle the wings, quite interesting. The co**pits were so small, it gave you the feeling of wearing it. Instant love affair! PJ
View attachment 60214

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In civilian life I did a lot of flying out of Kearney Nebraska, old WWII air base. While there I was told that a lot of XP82 Mustangs were stationed there, but never could get the squadrons name or how many aircraft they had. Kinda unique idea, but not much came of it to my knowledge. PJ

View attachment 60215

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Tom, I never saw that photo before. In the 60s and 70s a few of the original buildings were still there, we operated out of a WWII hangar. PJ

I just looked up the Kearney airport and a new terminal has been built plus United is flying passenger service out of there. It was pretty much a partially vacant run down airport back in the 60s & 70s.

Country flag
Walter, in early 1956 I was sent to Norman, Ok for maintenance training on F4Us, we had F4U-1As, same as Pappy Boyington flew, of course they were out dated after the 4s came out with much more horsepower, 4 bladed props and able to carry more hardware, but the basics were the same. We had to run them up every morning and cycle the wings, quite interesting. The co**pits were so small, it gave you the feeling of wearing it. Instant love affair! PJ
View attachment 60214

When they were flying from islands and not carriers like late in the war Marine corsairs had the wing fold locked and the tailhooks removed. Two less potential failure points.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, I believe we have talked about this before, but... Right before my granddad was discharged he was stationed at Norman as a Corsair crew chief in, I believe 53. This worked well for him as he was from Sayre and could drive home on the weekends. He also met my grandmother who was a student at the Oklahoma College for Women in Chickasha while he was stationed there. I need to dig out my Dzus tool that he gave me when I was a kid. I have no idea why he walked off with it but I remember thinking it was so cool to own something he had used to work on Navy aircraft.