• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Six turning and four burning

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My favorite scene in one of my favorite aviation movies, Strategic Air Command, 1955. It's taking off over Fort Worth, where I was a kid going to Bluebonnet Elementary School.

Altho' the B-36 Peacemaker was designed during WW2 with six piston engines (P&W Wasp Majors), two double-jet pods were added soon after. The Majors faced aft, so cooling was a problem - might be better described as “two turning, two burning, two smoking, two choking and two more unaccounted for.”

A big plane. Size matters.

image6.jpg

A B-17, B-29, and a B-36. A prize for identifying the fourth aircraft - top center!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Another wild stab - pictures not that clear of the front, but could it be a B-18 Bolo?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Another wild stab - pictures not that clear of the front, but could it be a B-18 Bolo?

Bolo it is! That's the pre-WW2 bomber that convinced the army they needed a larger aircraft - the B-17.

Hardly anyone remembers the B-18 - bravo!
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
When you compare it to the B-17, B-29, B-36 it's hard to imagine that as a bomber. Doesn't;'t look much bigger than a Beachcraft 18.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Love the B-36, amazing plane, wish I could have seen one fly. My uncle (long gone) remembered working on these at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. Yes also on "Strategic Air Command". Talk about a period piece.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I feel really lucky that I grew up along with the 36. They flew over our neighborhood (south Fort Worth) almost every day. You felt them before you heard them or saw them.

Take a look at the aircraft at the Castle Air Museum in California. A large collection, only one I know that includes the B-17, B-18, B-23, B-29, and B-36.

https://www.castleairmuseum.org/collection

Wow.

D

Deleted member 8987

I did a tad of research on the Big Stick long ago.
They pulled the pods off the B-47 assembly line and tried them out.

Trivia:

What type of fuel did the jets burn?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back then it could have been JP-1, basically Kerosene. Then JP-3, a mixture of 65% gasoline and the rest Kerosene. JP-3 would vapor off easily due to the high content of gas in it. We used mostly JP-4 in the Cougars and Furys, don't remember the compound. Later the ratings and ident numbers changed to A, B and whatever. PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

Nope. There was never any dual-fuel capabilities in the 36.
AvGas.

Apparently you can jet (joke?) a jet to run on just about anything.

Since the jet pods were primarily to get a war load off the ground in a SAC mission, the PTB (powers that be) did not want to compromise overall range by adding JetA tanks in place of AvGas.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yea I know jet engines will run on just about anything, but better on some fuels than others. We had a couple Navy TV-2s, (AF T33s) with GE Allisons in them and it was specified they would run on avgas in an emergency, but JP was the fuel of choice.

D

Deleted member 8987

There was also...a C-119 Flying Boxcar with an auxiliary jet on top of the wing root...same thing, avgas.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And of course, the 1939 Ercoupe, with rocket assisted take off.

Ercoupe 415 - a very cool little aircraft. Safer than most of the era.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
We are also fortunate to have a B-36 nearby at the SAC museum between Lincoln and Omaha. Several years ago our local club did a cooperative display with them over the winter including my Healey 100, commemorating the Curtis LeMay-sports car racing connection.

il_340x270.1874904159_qsii.jpg