• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yet Another Oil Question!

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Forum,

I know there have been many issues discussed here in the past regarding what is the best engine oil recommended for the Healey.

So, my personal history and thoughts...

For many years, I have used the Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil. But availability and costs have become and issue in recent years.

So, I switched over to Mobil 1 15w50 and I have been using that for about a couple of years now. Much cheaper in costs and can pull it off the shelf from my local Walmart. Considering I do not do any hard driving and change my oil frequently, I see no major concerns here. Agreed?

OK, tonight, as I acquired the usual Mobil product from the Walmart shelf, I noticed for the first time, Walmart's brand of "Super Tech" 20w50 Engine Oil.

I checked the "RAT" Blog again, which I believe has been posted here on the Forum almost a year ago (and if you should have any trouble finding it here, you can find it easy enough on the internet simply by typing the same as I indicated). The Engineer's analysis ("RAT" Blog) of all oils' specs, as virtually thorough and complete as it is, does not include this particular one (20w50). Maybe a new addition to the market.

Just curious to know if anyone has used this particular brand or knows anything about it. The Mobil 1 is starting to climb in costs, like everything else, and just curious to know any opinions about the Super Tech.

Thanks.

Paul
67 BJ8

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I used VR1 in all of my vintage cars for several years, but on the recommendation of a mechanic friend a couple of years ago I switched to Penn Grade Partial Synthetic (used to be called Brad Penn). While far from economical (so if you're budget-conscious please stop reading now!), it has all the zinc and phosphorus you need and the anti-wear benefits of partial synthetic. I haven't noticed any increased oil leaking in any of the car I use it in, and I don't change oil so frequently that it is driving down my portfolio (ha!) value (how far below zero can a portfolio value go?).

See it here on Amazon

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Reid,

Did your mechanic give specific reasons for de-recommending Valvoline? Mechanics have practical knowledge, but I've never met one with a degree in chemistry or petroleum engineering. 'My' mechanic, who owns the shop that rebuilt my BJ8's engine and several engines for my dad will only buy Chevron gas because he says the engines he sees that run exclusively on Chevron are in the best shape when he gets them (the irony that the engines are in need of overhaul escapes him, apparently, but he builds a lot of race engines). I argued that Top Tier gas is probably as good from one brand as another, but I've started filling my Mustang with Chevron occasionally nonetheless--I'll use Costco gas, also Top Tier, if/when it's convenient--and I usually pick the Chevron station over other name brands for my Healeys.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Reid, Did your mechanic give specific reasons for de-recommending Valvoline? Mechanics have practical knowledge, but I've never met one with a degree in chemistry or petroleum engineering.

That brings up the whole philosophical question about these matters, including additives (for oil and gas).

The mechanic didn't say anything bad about VR1 or recommend against it. He merely recommended the Penn Grade, and after the last oil change using it in my 914, the car seemed to have better, smoother power. Psychological effect? Maybe, but I'm not really a guy upon whom "power of suggestion" works. I guess my thought on the subject is, (a) someone who has worked on these cars all his life recommends it, (b) it's a partial synthetic so it stands to reason that it reduces wear, and (c) it has plenty of zinc and phosphorus. Beyond that I have no evidence or analysis to support my decision.

Closely related to this is the subject of additives. <Cue the opening of Pandora's Box> I always wonder about recommendations about additives. Who among us has really ever conducted anything even remotely resembling a test for them? For example, some people like to add Marvel's Mystery Oil to their oil, gas or both, and swear that it's great. But have they ever conducted a side-by-side test of two similar vehicles that get similar use and mileage, added it to the gas and oil of one and not the other, and then torn down the engines after 100,000 miles and compared? Didn't think so.

I added Cam Guard to the oil of a half a dozen collector cars of mine a few months ago based on a recommendation I read here on the forum. So far, no harm done. Benefits? I feel so responsible.

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for all the insight, thus far. Yes Reid, I was brave to continue reading on your post. :joyous:

I am just getting more comfortable in having the ability to buy off the shelf instead of ordering on line. My credit cards were hacked buying a few weeks ago on line (but caught in a reasonable amount of time). A variety of hacking, hijacking, scamming, cons. etc., becoming chronic among thieves these days.

Anyway, I suspect the possibility that Walmart's brand may not have the sufficient amounts of phosphorous, zinc and other nutritious ingredients a Healey would desire only because the RAT Blog does specify two other Walmart Super Tech Brands (5w30's, I believe) not spelling out such data as with other engine oils shown/tested (as I remember reading it).

Still, I like buying off the shelf and saving a little money, given my 'maintenance' habits. For now, I will continue using the off-the-shelf Mobil 1 20w50, until an acceptable alternative can be found for my use.

Thanks all very much!

Paul

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Paul, I have used Mobile 1 for the past 4 or so years and find it quite good. First, Bob is correct that synthetic oils leak more than traditional oils. One reason lies with synthetic viscosity stability, as apposed to traditional oils, that thicken with age. The Mobile 1 viscosity stability has eliminated the need to replace the starter and has really improved the engine spin of my original starter, even in Winter.

A while back I posted an issue with Red Line MTL leaking out of my transmission. I did like the performance of MTL or MT90 in my transmission, but realized leaking could be the result of it being synthetic, I contacted technical support at Red Line as well as at a brand of Stop Leak use in automatic transmissions. Both support individuals indicated they saw no issue with adding a little stop leak to the synthetic Red Line and also indicated that this was what was done to create the High Mileage Car oil designation.

As you, my level of aggressive driving has diminished over the years. I now far less frequently shifting at 4K -5K RPMs I so commonly did not to long ago. I am now considering use of a 10W40 and 10W30 as I did when the car was new.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Ray,

As a follow up to your thread here, I will also investigate other possibilities of different type oils to use. Quaker State seems to offer good alternatives with zinc and phosphorous, etc., and seems to be readily available on the store shelves, too.

Again, I was just curious if anything positive could be said about the Super Tech, but my hunch is it might be lacking with the necessary additives. But I will continue with my search. The Mobil 1 is good for me, for now.

Thanks,

Paul