Thread: painting the floors of my tr3.

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

painting the floors of my tr3.

I wanted to put down some paint on the floors of my tr3. It has some hammerite paint on it now, and I think that was on top of some old black oil base stuff, but the hammerite did not stick well in the spots where people’s feet would contact. But again that is down to rust now.

I cannot seem to find any Hammerite paint hammered finish anywhere brush on style. And was thinking is Rust o Leum hammered finish the same thing as hammerite paint.

There is always POR 15, but I do not know if that will stick in the areas where there is paint and that stuff is mean and does not keep well. I am over thinking this and looking for thoughts and suggestions on what to use.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: painting the floors of my tr3.

I believe that Hammerite paint was originally a brand name of paint. We now see hammered finish paint in several brands of spray cans. I suspect that POR 15 may need some special prep to be able to use. Like bare metal. I would not over think this. If you have some rust on there now clean it up lightly and find some spray paint that you can use on slightly rusted surfaces.
    Charley
    1962 TR4
    1963 TR4
    1959 TR3A A work in progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Re: painting the floors of my tr3.

Nothing sticks to minimally prepped metal like oil based Rustoleum. The latex based rustoleum is junk.
    John

1955 TR2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJD For This Useful Post: