• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake hoses

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In my relatively unsuccessful quest for a consistently hard brake pedal I've decided to replace several components that do not owe me anything--namely the brake hoses and the rear wheel cylinders which have been on the car for at least ten years.

MOSS sells several different brake hoses--stainless steel by Goodridge, braided stainless steel by Cobalt, and unbranded "stock" ones. As between the two metal hoses does anyone have a recommendation for one or the other based on their experience, either negative or positive? I have BT7 front discs and stock rear drums.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
olphartz provides a photo that show how their stainless are made. Maybe helpful in comparing with other brands.
https://www.olphartz.com/stainless-brakelines.html
8709107.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have the Goodridge, no complaints. I originally got the Denis Welch hoses when I did the disc brake conversion in 2000. They were fine until one kinked earlier this year.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have BT7 front discs and stock late BN1 rear drums. I just spoke with Moss and asked if they can mix and match but they said no, they come in prepackaged kits. I acnnot be sure but since Moss specifies different part numbers for BN1 versus BT7 rear hoses I doubt that ordering a BT7 will work for me.

I cannot find a listing for Cobalt and it looks like they supply a lot of vendors so I doubt I will be able to have them make up a custom set of hoses. Same thing with Goodridge.

I would like to buy a set of SS hoses from either one of these suppliers or someone else but do not feel like buying two kits to harvest the parts I need for one car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a source?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have BT7 front discs and stock late BN1 rear drums. I just spoke with Moss and asked if they can mix and match but they said no, they come in prepackaged kits. I acnnot be sure but since Moss specifies different part numbers for BN1 versus BT7 rear hoses I doubt that ordering a BT7 will work for me.

I cannot find a listing for Cobalt and it looks like they supply a lot of vendors so I doubt I will be able to have them make up a custom set of hoses. Same thing with Goodridge.

I would like to buy a set of SS hoses from either one of these suppliers or someone else but do not feel like buying two kits to harvest the parts I need for one car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a source?

I believe these guys will make for you or sell you what ever you need.
https://www.olphartz.com/stainless-brakelines.html

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Making hydraulic hoses for any hydraulic shop is often just a function of whether or not they have or can source the fittings and swaging dies. Find a shop, bring a hose by for them to look at and perhaps they can make some for you. It might not be a big deal.

D

Deleted member 21878

Check with a local farmer. i know a friend of mine over here gets hoses made all the time for his equipment. And it is cheaper.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
After checking out the link to Oldphartz Parts that Ausmhly inserted in his post #6 I made contact with them and received an immediate reply from Steve Christianson who said that making up such a kit is no problem for them. He is on PST time so I have a call into him to finalize the order.

I'll give feedback after I receive and install the parts but whether he is making the hoses or buying them from a supplier it is nice dealing with a seller who has flexibility.