• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The times, they are

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
a-changing.

Yesterday at the air museum, I asked interns if they had comments on the Air & Space magazine article (pdf) I had attached to an email to them a couple days before.

Intern: I hardly ever check email - I have at least 20 email addresses. Just use Facebook Messenger now.

Second intern: (while giggling) FB Messenger is only for old people. I use Instagram or Snapchat.

Third intern: I got the email on my iPhone, but I couldn't open the attachment.

Fourth intern: Yahoo mail blocked the attachment. And it was hard to read your email, as my phone's screen is really small.

So ... I'm wondering if other BCF members have experienced this rollicking and uplifting Adventure in Communication.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There's always this tried and true medium to communicate...

images.jpeg

Country flag
I miss the days when I’d type something up as a text doc,print it off, stuff it in an interoffice envelope and that person had it in aday or two, depending on how far away they were. And I’d have the return document in thattime. Ah, for the slower pace of life…

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oft times a prospective client will see my Motorola Flip-Phone and remark: "You're an I.T. guy! Why don't you have one of these?!?" As he proudly displays a whizz-bang glass screen iPhone or equivalent.

My reply is: "Yeah, I'm an I.T.guy. THAT'S why. I know what those things can do. I've no need to do anything more than call clients or receive calls from them."

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Oft times a prospective client will see my Motorola Flip-Phone and remark: "You're an I.T. guy! Why don't you have one of these?!?" As he proudly displays a whizz-bang glass screen iPhone or equivalent.

My reply is: "Yeah, I'm an I.T.guy. THAT'S why. I know what those things can do. I've no need to do anything more than call clients or receive calls from them."

:iagree:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well, I can almost agree, or would have until my daughter gave me her old iphone. I have to admit that I probably use it for text messages almost more that voice calls. And it is really convenient for taking photos of progress on the car projects. The camera seems about as good as my real one except it can't zoom in but still fine for progress photos. So maybe I don't really agree anymore.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I miss the days when I’d type something up as a text doc,print it off, stuff it in an interoffice envelope and that person had it in aday or two, depending on how far away they were. And I’d have the return document in thattime. Ah, for the slower pace of life…
That's part of that new-fangled stuff. I used to write a report by hand, give it to the department secretary to type on a typewriter. She would say to me and my boss "You get one chance to comment and change, no more."

Then again, I'm membership chair of our local Austin-Healey club. We still have folks who don't have email or cell phones. We set up our website so people can pay their dues by PayPal. Only about 20% do, the rest mail checks.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My main concern is that folks will generally choose "convenience" over personal security. Texting is almost secondary. The hand-held devices most have accepted as "better" communications gizmos are not understood. Not in capability to track, catalogue and utilize as advantage-taking devices. That 'convenience' makes us commodities. Buy & sell info, target ads and email solicitations. Look on G**gle for a Delta sink fixture and suddenly your Facebook page has an interestingly increased sidebar overabundance of plumbing supply ads. Email spam starts to be inundated with the same.

My rant could go on for paragraphs. And nevermind those who "store" or allow "remember" their passwords and card accounts on the dam'd things. That's as good as broadcasting the data to the whole planet.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well, I can almost agree, or would have until my daughter gave me her old iphone. I have to admit that I probably use it for text messages almost more that voice calls. And it is really convenient for taking photos of progress on the car projects. The camera seems about as good as my real one except it can't zoom in but still fine for progress photos. So maybe I don't really agree anymore.

I thought all iphones could zoom - put two fingers on the screen and spread them apart

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
a-changing.

Yesterday at the air museum, I asked interns if they had comments on the Air & Space magazine article (pdf) I had attached to an email to them a couple days before.

Intern: I hardly ever check email - I have at least 20 email addresses. Just use Facebook Messenger now.

Second intern: (while giggling) FB Messenger is only for old people. I use Instagram or Snapchat.

Third intern: I got the email on my iPhone, but I couldn't open the attachment.

Fourth intern: Yahoo mail blocked the attachment. And it was hard to read your email, as my phone's screen is really small.

So ... I'm wondering if other BCF members have experienced this rollicking and uplifting Adventure in Communication.

Tom M.

it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. The real point here seems to be that they had an assignment that they didn't follow through on.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mostly use mine for instant pictures, so I can put it back together without going across the garage for a parts manual.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. The real point here seems to be that they had an assignment that they didn't follow through on.

noop - The real point here is that our communications are splintering. How do you reach people if they're all using different communication systems. You have to join all those systems?

The digital Tower of Babel. The distant clouds are darkening.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Phone, text and email do it for me for one on one communication, I don't shotgun my moves thru social media. Well I guess I do, I'm here.

I love the benefits a smart phone offers, especially while traveling. Maps especially in cities (can't give up my paper maps for the big picture,) better camera than the last one I owned, more music than I ever owned, TV, radio, finding campsites, restaurants and hotels or most anything else, ordering stuff, weather, the list goes on. A computer in your pocket, what a neat tool.

Last intern I had came in my office and asked where his office was. I pointed to a chair.

Country flag

I hate to admit that today I just ordered a new phone to replace my flip type. The old one is slowly dying as I have to rock some of the keys to get then to work. So Iphone, here I come… But at least it is a corporate phone and they pay the bill. But I’ve kept the flip this long for the same reasons, I don’t want to be 24/7 email and text available.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I use my phone (Samsung J3) for a lot of things. I do, however, acknowledge the dangers of a smart phone and limit what it has access to. I never have it remember passwords to sensitive information and I turn off all sharing, all location services, etc. I delete my browsing history and update my settings frequently so that I can find applications that will turn themselves on and remove them from my phone. I also like that my phone still has a removable battery so I can completely shut it down if I need to.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
At least your interns are not using German Wi-Fi (I’m German, hope this ok to post)

07A57F98-110D-4ABE-BFC3-776F44646927.jpeg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
At least your interns are not using German Wi-Fi (I’m German, hope this ok to post)

View attachment 60061

Ha! Great photo - and believe it or not, two of my interns are from Germany. When they were younger, they were both brats.

But now they drive a cart awful.

:lol:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My wife has the I-Phone and uses it constantly. It's very useful, especially when you're lost. She says "Directions Basil's house" and we get the route and a map. It also tells her how far ahead a traffic jam goes and whether or not there's a stalled car up ahead. Me? I still have my little AT &T flip phone. One I-Phone is enough.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My wife has the I-Phone and uses it constantly. It's very useful, especially when you're lost. She says "Directions Basil's house" and we get the route and a map. It also tells her how far ahead a traffic jam goes and whether or not there's a stalled car up ahead. Me? I still have my little AT &T flip phone. One I-Phone is enough.

And it takes you to Fawlty Towers! :single_eye:

I just upgraded to the iPhone XR (from a 7) and absolutely love this thing. It's like an electronic Swiss knife. Aside from the standard Apps that come built-in (camera, calendar, maps, calculator, etc), there are an almost endless number of apps, some free and some paid, that you can download and do some amazing things. One of my favorite apps is called PhotoPills. It allows you to do planning for landscape and night sky shots so you can know exactly what the sun, the moon, or the Milkyway will look like from any point on Earth and any given date and time. Say you're at Arches National Park and you want to see when there will be a fill moon visible right under the "delicate Arch." You can locate the place on the built-in satellite maps and "pin" your location to shoot from, then place another pin where you want the moon to be and it will show you exactly what dates and times the moon will appear where you want it to be (and you can set the angular elevation you want). It also has built-in Augmented Reality (AR) that will over-lay the Moon, Sun or Milky Way over your real-time camera's live view. you can set a date/time in the future and with AR can see exactly where the object will be in relation to the surrounding landscape.

When I did my Milky Way shots at Cabazon, I was able to go out there on one prior day before dark and "see" where the Milky Way would be at a future date and time. You can scroll through the times/dates to see exactly when the celestial object will be where you want it. That's how I was able to determine exactly where I needed to be and at what date/time to have the core of the Milky Way directly above the peak from a specific location. It's a very powerful app and Makes planning such shots much easier.

Cabazon-1.jpg

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
And it takes you to Fawlty Towers! :single_eye:

I just upgraded to the iPhone XR (from a 7) and absolutely love this thing. It's like an electronic Swiss knife. Aside from the standard Apps that come built-in (camera, calendar, maps, calculator, etc), there are an almost endless number of apps, some free and some paid, that you can download and do some amazing things. One of my favorite apps is called PhotoPills. It allows you to do planning for landscape and night sky shots so you can know exactly what the sun, the moon, or the Milkyway will look like from any point on Earth and any given date and time. Say you're at Arches National Park and you want to see when there will be a fill moon visible right under the "delicate Arch." You can locate the place on the built-in satellite maps and "pin" your location to shoot from, then place another pin where you want the moon to be and it will show you exactly what dates and times the moon will appear where you want it to be (and you can set the angular elevation you want). It also has built-in Augmented Reality (AR) that will over-lay the Moon, Sun or Milky Way over your real-time camera's live view. you can set a date/time in the future and with AR can see exactly where the object will be in relation to the surrounding landscape.

When I did my Milky Way shots at Cabazon, I was able to go out there on one prior day before dark and "see" where the Milky Way would be at a future date and time. You can scroll through the times/dates to see exactly when the celestial object will be where you want it. That's how I was able to determine exactly where I needed to be and at what date/time to have the core of the Milky Way directly above the peak from a specific location. It's a very powerful app and Makes planning such shots much easier.

Wow. I figured you were just walking along and took a snapshot. :devilgrin: