• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Under boot and under bonnet paint?

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
"didn't use (or have) clearcoat in those days"

Except in the case of metallic paint !?

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the old school metallic paint was a single coat application. They just put the metal flakes right in the color coat. I had an Earl Sheib $39.95 metallic dark blue paint job on my first car, a 1952 Ford Crestline Hardtop. It was beautiful as you can tell. Boy I wish I still had that car. But I sold it for $115 that I used to buy an engagement ring for my wife. Now that was the best investment I ever made!!
Clear coat and the resultant pealing came somewhere in maybe the 70's or 80"s.

Attachments

• Scan 102980007.jpg
    Scan 102980007.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Scan 102980009.jpg
    Scan 102980009.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 125
OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A $39.95 paint job that looked beautiful? Wow...bring back the good ole' days! I'm paying just a wee bit more for the current paint job on my Healey.:friendly_wink:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, now that I think about it, I think the base price was only $29.95, but I opted for the upgrades, painted door jams and wheels adding up to $39.95. What a big spender!! I ditched school the day I had it painted and hung around the painters while they prepped the car. I think they could see I was in love with the car and took a little extra effort do a good job. I remember the guy who came in behind me had a 1958 Olds he wanted painted Pepto Bismol pink. That much metal painted that much pink will stay in your memory forever......

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My dad told me that he owned a '47 Ford that needed a paint job. He took it down to the local Navy yard and had it painted for free with gray paint left over from painting a battleship. He said it was the best paint job he ever had and it lasted for years.....I actually remember that car even though he had it painted before I was born!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Overdrive45 Trim Under Convertible Cap Austin Healey 11
Gatheringtree TR2/3/3A Faltering at high RPM and under load demand Triumph 34
K TR2/3/3A TR3 front air vents mounted under the grill...seen on race cars for better air flow to radiator. Triumph 1
DrEntropy Show this to anyone under 40... Restoration & Tools 9
M MGC New book: MGCs Down Under MG 0
R Ground wires under dash Spridgets 5
J TR2/3/3A Wooden piece under scuttle with dash Triumph 6
J TR2/3/3A Pads under new floor Triumph 7
charleyf TR2/3/3A Under dash fuse Triumph 7
F TR2/3/3A Rust under flanges Triumph 7
B Under bonnet fuel Austin Healey 15
D MGB Stopping rust under patch panels MG 1
T Coroplast Signs under Wheels Austin Healey 0
S Meaning of the ‘dots’ under the temperature scale? Austin Healey 3
Zitch For Sale OE Under Dash Speaker refinished new speaker installed Triumph Classifieds 0
BoyRacer Ideas needed for under dash radio mount, cup holders, glove box Austin Healey 39
TR3TR6 TR6 Turn signal lights don't flash when under load. Triumph 5
W Electrics, fuel system, under bonnet temp. Austin Healey 3
S TR2/3/3A Under the dash re-assembly sequence Triumph 4
S TR2/3/3A steering bracket that fits under the dash for the end of the column Triumph 2
C TR2/3/3A Triumph Tr2 Down Under Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A The under dash fuse on later TR3's Triumph 7
Sopwith_Camel MGB under or over MG 3
G Supplier rant from down under Austin Healey 12
D TR2/3/3A Under hood Photos Triumph 7
D Lilly under her own power... Austin Healey 7
S TR6 Position of the buffer wedges under the hood [ bonnet] on a 74 TR6 Triumph 2
G TR4/4A Under Dash Pics Triumph 2
LarryK TR2/3/3A Craigslist St. Louis under 1959 Austin, Jag, Triumph Triumph 2
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Scraping Down Under Triumph 18
K TR3A Air vent under grille on Race Cars? Racing 5
D TR4/4A shims under axle housing Triumph 7
simon1966 BN1 Strip down well under way Austin Healey 5
M TR2/3/3A The Sequel: Water from Under the Dash Triumph 3
Simmo MGA Missing under load MG 3
cmacmillan TR6 TR6 grille - rectangular tabs under the grille finisher? Triumph 2
Joe Reed MGB Rattle under front end? MG 8
Z MGB My 5.8 OHC Rover V8 build yes this is a P76 block from do under! MG 10
2billydavies TR2/3/3A clips under the dashboard that hold the vinyl covering on Triumph 4
I TR6 Under bonnet sticker source Triumph 3
T TR4/4A Under the been there - done that school of learning: TR6 rear springs on a TR4a Triumph 12
AUSMHLY BJ8 eyebrow over or under grill surround Austin Healey 9
Nelson Working under the car Spridgets 5
L Oil under left front shock Austin Healey 7
T TR2/3/3A TR3 under water again Triumph 4
P Mysteries under the BJ8 transmission tunnel, speedometer cable, overdrive and gerabox Austin Healey 1
T General MG Pressure washing under the hood? MG 11
maxwedge5281 under floor insulation Austin Healey 15
J Protecting new wiring harness under car section-Use clear shrink tubing? Austin Healey 4
C Top attachment under side flaps - BJ8 Austin Healey 5