Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bonnet safety catch

quickie!
    what is the size and thread for the little studs that attach the safety catch to the bonnet? ( i cannot take the bonnet to the store to try them!) I have assorted nuts but none seem to fit.

Safety catch is Moss 802-276,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: bonnet safety catch

You have to be careful with all screw sizes smaller than 1/4" on the TR3. That stud seems to be a 10-32, but if I remove the nut, it will start to screw onto a 10-32 screw, but then stop. It's most likely a 2BA thread. Besides being slightly different in size and threads, the angle of the threads is also different. See the link below.

https://britishfasteners.com/threads/
    Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THANK YOU
    I got some 2BA nuts, but they do not quite fit so I assume it must be #10UNF. On the other hand the nuts are perfect to attach the number plate lamp, a LUCAS product. It makes sense. There are some other #10s around which will likely turn out to be "normal".

Michael

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

+1 with Art that is a difficult area those little screws and nuts. The chrome ones for the Lucas tail lights are a something special—not sure what—probably BA. I always look at those screws when I see an old Brit car and most the time some has hillbillied some Phillip headed screw in there. Moss and probably TRF sell the original chrome screw that fits the tail light and I think they are like 5 bucks each, so that is an indicator that you often have to pay for those correct little dudes. Perhaps look in the factory manual for the part number and TRF might have it cataloged that way.

steve

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you for the help...I need help with posting as my last effort has gone with the wind.

2BA are in fact the right thing on my third try. Apart from the number plate lamp everything else small has turned out to be 10/32-UNF. I see that Revington will sell me 2BA nuts if I cannot get them here- the left/wet side of Canada, although it has been very dry for months.

Michael