• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removal of Intake and Exhaust manifold. Austin Healey BJ7

BLong63AH

Country flag
The first time I have attempted to remove the Intake and/or Exhaust manifold on my BJ7.
The only reason I am trying to remove is I wanted to install my Moss exhaust but the down pipe connection to the exhaust manifold I can’t break free. Tried everything, PB Blaster, Seafoam, 50/50 Acetone and ATF and lastly heat but it was so difficult to get to I decided to try and remove the manifold.
I have freed the nuts on the Intake manifold (read it is better to remove it also) but can’t get the manifold to break loose. Being new to this I am worried I will crack or break something. Any guidance on next steps would be appreciated. I will attach photos of my progress and the exhaust I am trying to break loose from the Exhaust manifold.
Thank you for any help. FYI I am rebuilding carbs and that kind of started the whole mess.
Bryan

Attachments

• 7DEAD334-2636-47FE-A12A-690735C66A46.jpg
    7DEAD334-2636-47FE-A12A-690735C66A46.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 301
  • C6D68D08-4F2F-4033-A3A5-E79BDC659CE9.jpg
    C6D68D08-4F2F-4033-A3A5-E79BDC659CE9.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 257
  • 2D4F5C47-0DF1-4B27-AEEA-8CEF8E83C3D6.jpg
    2D4F5C47-0DF1-4B27-AEEA-8CEF8E83C3D6.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 253

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bryan,
In your first picture look at the front carb area - there is a vertical bolt head just to the rear of the carb mounting flange and just towards the head there are two vertical bolt heads going down thru a bracket (possibly throttle linkage?). Now look at the rear carb area and see the same three corresponding bolts..... These all go down thru the intake manifold into the exhaust manifolds. You will need to remove those six bolts to separate the intake from the exhaust. Then remove the intake first, and then you can free the exhaust. Moss catalogue has a pretty good exploded view showing the bolts.

As to getting them loose, you may need to tap the manifolds with a soft mallet or sometimes drive a screwdriver into the gap where the manifolds meet the head - but be very careful/gentile if a gasket surface is affected.

Good luck.
Dave

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
Dave, Thank you. I was not sure how they were connected. Is it best to go ahead and remove both Intakes and put on a new gasket?
Bryan

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bryan,
Tough question - you never know what kind of hornets nest you may find when exploring new territory.

If I was going to remove them, I think I would probably separate them. However, the first test I would do is try loosening the 6 bolts - I think they go into tapped holes in the exhaust manifold but
may go thru and have nuts on the bottom.
Either way they may be rusted too so they might be difficult too. I've got headers and it's been awhile since I've had the stock ones apart.

There can also be areal argument for doing all the exhaust system at once and be done with it. It should be maintenance free for a long time and
you know the condition of all of it.

What ever you end up doing, do yourself or some future owner a real favor and generously apply anti-seize when you put things back together, someone will surely thank you :smile:.

Dave

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
Thank you both. I was able to remove the nuts from the studs so hopefully no issues with the bolts through the Intake into the Exhaust manifold. I will be generous with the anti-sieze for sure. I actually found one stud with no nut or washer at the bottom of the intake. So might be a good idea to take both off and evaluate.
Bryan

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thank you both. I was able to remove the nuts from the studs so hopefully no issues with the bolts through the Intake into the Exhaust manifold. I will be generous with the anti-sieze for sure. I actually found one stud with no nut or washer at the bottom of the intake. So might be a good idea to take both off and evaluate.
Bryan

Be careful removing the vertical bolts that connect the intake and exhaust manifolds. It's possible to break them off in the blind hole. Go slow, use a lot of penetrant, and when they move turn them out a bit, then turn them back. Work them out gradually until they turn freely. Use anti-seize when reinstalling them.

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I was able to remove both Intake and exhaust manifolds. Does anyone know the original color of the exhaust manifold. I would like to go ahead and paint if necessary while I have everything off.
Thank you again,
Bryan

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I was able to remove both Intake and exhaust manifolds. Does anyone know the original color of the exhaust manifold. I would like to go ahead and paint if necessary while I have everything off.
Thank you again,
Bryan

Bryan, whatever you use to paint the exhaust manifolds is not going to last very long anyway due to the high heat. Some people have used barbecue grill paint. For long-term durability, I have found the Jet-Hot coating to be the thing to use. Twenty-one years and 90,500 miles after having my exhaust manifolds Jet Hot coated (aluminum color), they are pretty much unchanged except for some minor traces of rusting on the sharp corners. The cost in 1998 was $185.
www.jet-hot.com

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
Steve,
Thank you. I have been looking into Jet-Hot and I believe there is a location in Oklahoma City (about an hour and a half) that does it. I will check with them on cost.
Have a great weekend!
Bryan

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had my BJ8's exhaust manifold Jet-Hot coated three years ago; the cost was around $400 (I got mine in a dark grey). I believe the company went through bankruptcy a few years ago and may be under new ownership. Service was acceptable. I had hoped the coating would eliminate the warm-start problem caused by fuel vaporization, but the improvement was negligible if at all (but I didn't get 'before and after' temperature readings with an IR sensor).

There are other coatings providers; I can't vouch for them but suspect the result is similar to Jet-Hot (it ain't rocket science, and I think the process is similar to powder coating). There was one in southern California that, IIRC, was featured on 'Wheeler Dealers,' and you might be able to save some money if you shop around. I used high-temp paint on my BN2's manifold, and it has held up for the few hundred miles I've put on it.

Edit: A quick google search produced at least one alternative (Jet-Hot came out on top of the search, so they're internet marketing-savvy; some of your cost probably goes to that):

https://boneheadperformance.com/high-performance-coatings/

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Specialized Coatings in Huntington Beach, CA did my Kirk Headers in matte black ceramic (same as JetHot) in 2007 - they still look like new.
A friend had his cast manifolds coated in a "cast iron grey" a couple of years ago and they look like new.

Prices & turnaround are reasonable.

KirkBlack.jpg

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
THank you Bob and Steve. I will look and shop around. Just broke a stud off trying to get off the old exhaust pipe. Next to last one. Well another thing to figure out. Probably find a machine shop on this one. Spent two hours with heat & ice water, then candle wax to no avail.
Thank you everyone again,
Bryan

OP
BLong63AH

BLong63AH

Country flag
Bob,
Wish I could weld and I would give that a shot. I might try going by a shop and see if they could do that.
THanks,
Bryan

90DegreesSouth

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Steve G,
I'm curious about a few things with respect to your Kirk headers:\
1. What kind of performance improvement did you experience by using Kirk headers over standard equipment?
2. What do you use to connect them to the muffler/tailpipe?
3. What did they cost
Thanks for your insights,
Mark

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hey Steve G,
I'm curious about a few things with respect to your Kirk headers:\
1. What kind of performance improvement did you experience by using Kirk headers over standard equipment?
2. What do you use to connect them to the muffler/tailpipe?
3. What did they cost
Thanks for your insights,
Mark

Mark,
At the time, 2007 ish, Kirk told me they were no longer making the Healey headers. The ones i bought were returns from a customer who said they couldn't install them. Cost was around $170 but they were used. Probably around the same price for ceramic coating inside and out. I had no trouble installing them - a bit of a fiddle but doable. Info on my gallery.

Maybe they either make them again or maybe you can special-order them.

I installed my DMD manifold at the same time as the headers and the combination provided a noticeable seat-of-the-pants increase in acceleration.

I used stainless flex pipe (from JC Whitney) to make connectors between the header collectors and clamp connectors to the front stubs of the muffler. These are in-place mockups before welding.

Later I added bungs for O2 sensors on the downstream side of each collector flange. They're at the 4-o'clock position but it hasn't mattered as I live in a dry climate.

HeaderFlexPipes2.jpg

See my gallery:
https://pbase.com/stevegerow/kirk_headers

Last edited:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mark,

A follow up to Steve's post. Kirk does still make them. I just bought a set and paid $295 plus S&H so my total was $382. I don't think they get many requests anymore 'cause it took about 2 months to get them. They are the only ones I know of using 1 1/2" primaries which are better for low & midrange scavenging - DW and others are bigger bore primaries and better if you are spending a lot of time at 6000rpm. I have quit racing and am building a strong street motor now, so I think these will be better.
http://www.kirkracing.com/

Dave

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Mark,

A follow up to Steve's post. Kirk does still make them. I just bought a set and paid $295 plus S&H so my total was $382. I don't think they get many requests anymore 'cause it took about 2 months to get them. They are the only ones I know of using 1 1/2" primaries which are better for low & midrange scavenging - DW and others are bigger bore primaries and better if you are spending a lot of time at 6000rpm. I have quit racing and am building a strong street motor now, so I think these will be better.
http://www.kirkracing.com/

Dave
Several years ago I purchased Headers that were made by Paeco. I think I bought them through Sports & Classics at the time.