Thread: 100-6 BN4 horn question

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

100-6 BN4 horn question

Hi everyone. Here’s my question of the week. When the Healey arrived in Florida a few years ago and took its first outing the horn suddenly came on as I was driving along. Repeated pressing of the horn push had no effect, so I disconnected the bullet plugs behind the grill. Reconnect, horn blows. So my understanding of how the horn works is that it is always a hot circuit and when the horn push is depressed it pushes a plate down against a spring and makes contact with a contact plate, creating the circuit ground. If this is correct, then the most likely cause of my problem would probably be unintended grounding of the circuit somewhere in the wiring. Am I right? Should I start at the trafficator? Am I making any sense?

Thanks!
    Larry
    Never tease an old dog, he might have one bite left.
    Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Re: 100-6 BN4 horn question

Larry - a friend had this exact problem. He had somehow caused a short inside the wiring harness that passes thru the column. With the insulation gone he'd hit a bump and the horn would sound. With the bullets disconnected you should be able to see continuity between the brown/black wire and ground. Doubt the problem is in the horn button. If you get the continuity, you'll need to replace the trafficator harness. Not expensive. Great picture info on www.healey6.com.

This subject has come up before, so check the archives for more info.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: 100-6 BN4 horn question

Thanks, Steve. Going after it tomorrow or Sunday, we’ll see what happens. Also looking at Healey6.com Thanks again.