• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Welcome home, sir

Country flag
It may not be quite the same as having him around as he grew up, married and had his own family, but he has the satisfaction of knowing he was able to do one final service for his father. No small thing when for years they didn't have any concrete closure.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For some reason my screen seemed to go all blurry about half way through the article. Thank you.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice that his family has their hero back and thankfully able to put him to rest on American soil. Very unique and heart warming that it was his son who flew him back. Many families will never have closure.:concern:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with Bayless. The story hits a nerve here, just glad the family could know he's home.

Two of the names on the D.C. wall were people I knew. One, a fellow photographer and friend named Jimmy Alley, was aboard the first Jolly Green Giant HH-53 to be downed on the BAT-21-B rescue attempt. He had a couple weeks left of his SEA tour. Repatriated in May 2010. The other is bro-in-law of my best pal of forty-odd years, pilot of an OV-10A: NAIL-44, out of N.K.P. William S. Sanders, downed in June of '70. Billy has never been found.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My Dad did D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, then a 16 year break in service, re-joined and did two tours in in Nam. I'm eternally grateful that he made it back to live out the rest of his life post-retirement.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My Dad did D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, then a 16 year break in service, re-joined and did two tours in in Nam. I'm eternally grateful that he made it back to live out the rest of his life post-retirement.

Understood. Mine did day 2, with an anti-aircraft battery. Antwerp, the Ardennes in winter of '45, blown out of a quad-fifty mount just across the Ruhr by an 88 round landing nearby. Survived and spent 'the duration' recuperating in England. Had he not, I'd not exist. He would write me while I was in S.E.A. and sign with "Y.O.M." I really miss the guy.