• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Noise from clutch area?

D

Deleted member 8987

why would the type of lubricant inside the transmission show up as a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed?
Carbon T/O bearing still?
Starts as soon as you press the pedal and take the free-play out, or does it start when pedal is almost fully depressed?
T/O for first, pilot for second.
Generally.
Speakers on this Toshiba not qualified to discern the subject of the link.

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Did you change the fluid in your tranny recently?

Nope. TBH I'm not sure I've ever changed it. I check it once in a while.

But the noise happens when I step on the clutch, so the trans is not moving. No noise when I let the clutch out.

Also, it doesn't matter if the car is moving or not. The video was with the car not moving.

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I just changed the permissions on the video file if anybody had trouble accessing it. Hopefully you can see it now. Sorry about that.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely the throwout bearing. In the early stages the noise may come and go. Towards the end it will get constant and louder. If it were mine, I’d put it on my long term “to do” list. It could go for a year or more before getting serious.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Definitely need to change the T.O bearing, I wouldn't go too far from home until you do.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The question now is do you want pull the trany out from the top or pull the engine and trany together. Kinda depends on how nice the car is if you want to remove the apron or the seats. The car looks nice from what I can see, and then I would probably pull the seats. That bearing sound wore out. If it only made a little noise in neutral sitting, I would wait, but that is heavy metal.
steve

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
If you can get some lub. to it it might last a year longer.

Dumb comment...."your tach is on the right, mine is on the left." Was that intentional ?

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If you can get some lub. to it it might last a year longer.

Dumb comment...."your tach is on the right, mine is on the left." Was that intentional ?

Would pretty much have to pull it to get lube to it, wouldn't I?

Tach is where it was when I got the vehicle. No idea which is correct. Don't trust the PO further than I can throw him though.

Edit: for fun I just looked at Bill Piggots book. He says the speedo is "usually" on the left, but sometimes they were reversed. So I guess both are correct.

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The question now is do you want pull the trany out from the top or pull the engine and trany together. Kinda depends on how nice the car is if you want to remove the apron or the seats. The car looks nice from what I can see, and then I would probably pull the seats. That bearing sound wore out. If it only made a little noise in neutral sitting, I would wait, but that is heavy metal.
steve
The seats usually come out without protest. If the 3 screws on the bottom of the rails won't come out, take the bottom cushions out and unscrew the nuts that go on the studs that come up through the pans. IMO the transmission comes out easily this way and goes back in with some difficulty but usually not too much. And that's if it doesn't have an overdrive. If it does, I'd look for a strong helper or consider the engine/transmission option. (I've seen some engine cranes modified to lift the thing in the confined space under the dash)
The front apron is not difficult to remove as long as the bolts and nuts are not rusty but it's a challenge to remove and replace the apron without scratching or bending something. And you also have the exhaust, electrical, fuel and cooling systems to deal with. Far better if you can get it out through the inside.
Tom

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Far better if you can get it out through the inside.
Tom

I agree. I will go at it from the inside. I've had the apron off twice but it's a job.

My big worry is the condition of the floorpans and rockers when I get the carpet out. The PO did a rather slapdash "restoration" which I have been turning a blind eye to in order to keep it on the road. I know there's some fiberglass in there. And some wood. :nightmare:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I can dig that--- honesty is great thing. I am going to put some por 15 down on this one because it is an all-weather driver.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Having just acquired an OD transmission I am faced with the decision change from inside or out the front. Being on my own I will probable go out the front.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David,

I changed my gearbox on my own using my lifting bar but you may need to take the steering wheel off I don't have that problem because all the controls are on the right-hand side of my car. If you go from inside don't forget to tie the clutch lever forward to the bell housing because it tends to get caught on the floor turn up when putting the box back in.

Graham
upside down again
IMG_1632.jpg

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Clever arrangement Graham. I flipped the image below:
Untitled.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
For just the throwout bearing I found going from the inside to be the lesser work. The tunnel is easier to remove than the apron.

The early speedos were on the left in the US. Later they moved the speedo right so the navigater could see it in road rallying.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have pulled them and reinstalled them myself from the top. I used simple come- a –long from the rafter as close to balance point of the trans as I could it and that took up a lot of the weight, no od. Sometimes you will need to unhook the exhaust at the engine to let engine down some in the back and naturally support the engine somehow. I would not trust a hydraulic jack long, so I use a scissor jack to lower and raise the engine in the back.

Today I would get some help probably, but back in day I would crawl under the car and lift and fettle with most the tail shaft looped and balanced at the come-a- long. Or make one of those cool deals like Graham has, but did not about that then.