• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Axis of rotation

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just did a search on "rotissarie" and found only limited reference on the site. I am looking for information regarding the best location of the axis of rotation through the TR3 body so that when mounted on a rotissarie for body work, the tub is best balanced. I don't have a professional rotissarie with height adjustment so would like to mount the body as close as optimal when I set it up.
Is there anyone who has done this and noted or can describe the best axis location and the preferred mounting points?
regards, Lionel

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I cant help with rotissarie question but --
The TR3 has a pretty small tub.After I braced everthing up so I could lift with hoist from cieling beam I bought a tractor supply garden cart with pnuematic wheels for a $100 and would roll the tub easily outside for paint and body work.To access the bottom I just put down some 2x6 across the cart and just rolled it on its side.
Tom

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is what I constructed for my TR6 body. I was able to rotate the body quite easily. The angles on the edge of the wood at 30 and 45 degrees were a big assist when rotating.

TR6 Frames.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have not done it Lionel. The ones I thought look smart were the ones that used 2 engine stands one on each end. They probably made up some kind of angle iron deal that went on the front and rear tub mounts and perhaps something going down the center to tie the whole thing together and offer some support for the center perhaps along the drive line tunnel.
I usually put the car on its side and roll it over. The last one, I just let it roll in the sand pit piles, but I would have probably made something like Glider-man if I would has seen that, but it actually rolled easily with no damage probably because of the sand cushion.
steve

OP
L

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks guys. I think I will just have to build into it some vertical adjustment to locate the centre of balance of the car. When I get around to it, will have to document the location for future reference.