• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trafficators

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Fortunately my trafficator works fine. However, if I grab the thing between finger and thumb at the outer rim the whole mechanism rotates. It moves about 1/4" at the rim and then back again to the start point. Before I take it apart, can anyone tell me if this is normal and if not what to look for if I pull it out?
Thanks.
AJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Novamonte

Country flag
Re: Trafficator's [sorry again!]

Some movement is normal in my experience if you have an adjustable steering wheel. Make sure that the three grub screws on the side of the hub are tightened.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Assuming its an adjustable steering, and the olive nut (where the wires exit the steering box) is tight, the play is where the spline on the short tube slides in the slot of the long tube. The three grub screws: I'd run them in until you feel contact, then back them out a little. You don't want them firm against the flange. I used blue loctite on them.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Assuming its an adjustable steering, and the olive nut (where the wires exit the steering box) is tight, the play is where the spline on the short tube slides in the slot of the long tube. The three grub screws: I'd run them in until you feel contact, then back them out a little. You don't want them firm against the flange. I used blue loctite on them.

Hi Steve, Curious why the grub screws should be loose? As far as I remember, mine have been tight for the last 30 years with no known issues - at least I have no memory of backing them off. Since I am currently rebuilding my steering box and trafficator, I'm wondering if I need to do something different.

Thanks,
Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave - Where I was coming from on that...when I tightened my grub screws, they rubbed on the beveled edge of the trafficator "base disc" (my terminology). Then I loosened them enough to not rub, but still retain the trafficator inside the hub. Just enough to not wear the edge of the disc, but still retain. I guess if they're tight they'll wear in until there's clearance.

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I had to scew the grub screws in tight to get the mechanism to stop rotating. It took a while to set up. I lost one of the screws inside the hub and had to take the mechanism out to retrieve it before I managed to get it to seat properly. The grub screws close up on the edge of the "base disc" and my disc was already chewed up in places. It took some wobbling around to get the screws to find a good seat on the disc.
AJ

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had to scew the grub screws in tight to get the mechanism to stop rotating. It took a while to set up. I lost one of the screws inside the hub and had to take the mechanism out to retrieve it before I managed to get it to seat properly. The grub screws close up on the edge of the "base disc" and my disc was already chewed up in places. It took some wobbling around to get the screws to find a good seat on the disc.
AJ

If the mechanism is rotating, is your olive nut tight enough? It should keep the stator tube stationary and the only rotation would be a little play between the short tube and stator in the slot.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave - Where I was coming from on that...when I tightened my grub screws, they rubbed on the beveled edge of the trafficator "base disc" (my terminology). Then I loosened them enough to not rub, but still retain the trafficator inside the hub. Just enough to not wear the edge of the disc, but still retain. I guess if they're tight they'll wear in until there's clearance.

Sorry but I disagree. The grub screws are supposed to grip that beveled base disc so it is held stationary and turns with the steering wheel hub. That is what actuates the self-canceling feature - if the beveled base disc doesn't turn with the steering wheel it won't self cancel.

mgtf328 - Those grub screws sure are short... I had the same problem with mine several years ago and lost one screw inside - I considered getting longer screws but managed to make it work.

Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
....The grub screws are supposed to grip that beveled base disc so it is held stationary and turns with the steering wheel hub. That is what actuates the self-canceling feature - if the beveled base disc doesn't turn with the steering wheel it won't self cancel.

mgtf328 - Those grub screws sure are short... I had the same problem with mine several years ago and lost one screw inside - I considered getting longer screws but managed to make it work.

Dave

You're right, my bad - it makes perfect sense for the disc to turn.