Thread: Trafficators

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Trafficators

Fortunately my trafficator works fine. However, if I grab the thing between finger and thumb at the outer rim the whole mechanism rotates. It moves about 1/4" at the rim and then back again to the start point. Before I take it apart, can anyone tell me if this is normal and if not what to look for if I pull it out?
    Thanks.
    AJ
    Last edited by Editor_Reid; 08-08-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No need to thank me. Just doing my job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: Trafficator's (sorry again!)

Some movement is normal in my experience if you have an adjustable steering wheel. Make sure that the three grub screws on the side of the hub are tightened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Assuming its an adjustable steering, and the olive nut (where the wires exit the steering box) is tight, the play is where the spline on the short tube slides in the slot of the long tube. The three grub screws: I'd run them in until you feel contact, then back them out a little. You don't want them firm against the flange. I used blue loctite on them.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Trafficators

Thanks I found them. Fixed. They were well hidden.
    AJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Assuming its an adjustable steering, and the olive nut (where the wires exit the steering box) is tight, the play is where the spline on the short tube slides in the slot of the long tube. The three grub screws: I'd run them in until you feel contact, then back them out a little. You don't want them firm against the flange. I used blue loctite on them.
    Hi Steve, Curious why the grub screws should be loose? As far as I remember, mine have been tight for the last 30 years with no known issues - at least I have no memory of backing them off. Since I am currently rebuilding my steering box and trafficator, I'm wondering if I need to do something different.

Thanks,
    Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Dave - Where I was coming from on that...when I tightened my grub screws, they rubbed on the beveled edge of the trafficator "base disc" (my terminology). Then I loosened them enough to not rub, but still retain the trafficator inside the hub. Just enough to not wear the edge of the disc, but still retain. I guess if they're tight they'll wear in until there's clearance.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries:

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had to scew the grub screws in tight to get the mechanism to stop rotating. It took a while to set up. I lost one of the screws inside the hub and had to take the mechanism out to retrieve it before I managed to get it to seat properly. The grub screws close up on the edge of the "base disc" and my disc was already chewed up in places. It took some wobbling around to get the screws to find a good seat on the disc.
    AJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgtf328 View Post
    I had to scew the grub screws in tight to get the mechanism to stop rotating. It took a while to set up. I lost one of the screws inside the hub and had to take the mechanism out to retrieve it before I managed to get it to seat properly. The grub screws close up on the edge of the "base disc" and my disc was already chewed up in places. It took some wobbling around to get the screws to find a good seat on the disc.
    AJ
    If the mechanism is rotating, is your olive nut tight enough? It should keep the stator tube stationary and the only rotation would be a little play between the short tube and stator in the slot.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Dave - Where I was coming from on that...when I tightened my grub screws, they rubbed on the beveled edge of the trafficator "base disc" (my terminology). Then I loosened them enough to not rub, but still retain the trafficator inside the hub. Just enough to not wear the edge of the disc, but still retain. I guess if they're tight they'll wear in until there's clearance.
    Sorry but I disagree. The grub screws are supposed to grip that beveled base disc so it is held stationary and turns with the steering wheel hub. That is what actuates the self-canceling feature - if the beveled base disc doesn't turn with the steering wheel it won't self cancel.

mgtf328 - Those grub screws sure are short... I had the same problem with mine several years ago and lost one screw inside - I considered getting longer screws but managed to make it work.

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by red57 View Post
    ....The grub screws are supposed to grip that beveled base disc so it is held stationary and turns with the steering wheel hub. That is what actuates the self-canceling feature - if the beveled base disc doesn't turn with the steering wheel it won't self cancel.

mgtf328 - Those grub screws sure are short... I had the same problem with mine several years ago and lost one screw inside - I considered getting longer screws but managed to make it work.

Dave
    You're right, my bad - it makes perfect sense for the disc to turn.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries: