• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey BJ8 failed MOT in 1979 - Almost restored Aug 2019!

Cutrog1

Country flag
Healey BJ8 failed MOT in 1979 - Almost restored May 2020!

A SAGA OF DEDICATION WITH FRIENDS OVER 40 YEARS

I bought the Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8 in 1974. Reg 4004 EH

P1020317.jpg
Used it until it failed MOT in 1979 in Birmingham.

AAHealeyrotten1.jpg

aahealeyrotten2.jpg

Total nut and bolt stripdown with my friend Phil having a garage facility.

I moved away from the area in 1981 and the car was then in the hands of Phil who took it on as a labour of love. In those days we were getting parts from Southern Carburetters....I buyed....he fitted. Over the years he fully restored/repaired as necessary. Bare chassis upwards.

aahealeychassis.jpg
Not attempting concourse!! Could not afford it!

At 60 years old Phil retired and went on the social security and enrolled on a Tech College body spraying course funded by the social! The facilities were top class and he worked on all the car panels and sprayed them in the best possible standard. (He was the star student on the course where nobody knew he was in the business of car repair!) Today, those panels are still in perfect condition.

In 2010, he found it too much to carry on and his friend Paul took it on. He restores classic Ferraris in a barn that has a hoist, compressor, welding gear etc etc.

Again, it was a labour of love. I had not seen the car since 1981. Everything going well until Phil passed away.

I met Paul at Phil's funeral and discussed the way forward. He was keen to carry on and so I communicated with him over the next years until he suddenly decided to move to Thailand late 2018.

I am 75 years old and have recovered the part finished Healey on a trailer, brought it home to my garage together with a pile of dirty rusty rotting bits and pieces, with every intention of completing the restoration. It was a rolling chassis with all running gear, brakes engine etc overhauled but looking old from years of sat in a barn. The panels were not on the car except the loose front shroud that fitted comfortably strapped down in transit.
IMG_20181206_141058.jpg
At home i did the first thing and put oil in but immediately found water dripping from a rusted sump. 2 Litres!! 30 years of standing in a barn! The drip stopped once the water ran out. Condensation?

Currently struggling with my aged bones getting under and around the car but progressing slowly. AH Spares supply wagon is in full use - carpet/boot sets, upholstery and panels all bought and fitted by me.

aahealeyupholstery.jpg

Got the engine fired up but blew three core plugs. Rusted out!

No oil pressure..... chose to remove the sump and saw it full of broken, rusted metal from rotting strainer and sump liner! Pump obviously useless. Sump has pin holes.
Took out one crank bearing shell and a conrod shell. They were marked but not too bad. Put them back in instead of subjecting any new ones to the rubbish that was going to still be in the engine oilways.

healeyfilter.jpg

healey bearings.jpg

During the months from bringing the car home in December 2018 to June 2019 my dear wife Chris was in her last days of cancer treatment from which she has finally succumbed. She was with me when I bought the car in 1974 and even during her final days was encouraging me to work on the Healey. She was often able to bring a cup of tea to the garage and make sure I was still alive under the car!

She has gone, and her legacy is the time she has given me to "crack on" with our car. I am spending most days doing so....and sometimes waking up and popping in to the garage at 2 am so as to fix some little thing that was on my mind.

7 Aug 2019,

I have been laid on my back spraying petrol up the engine insides and cleaning out with a brush and hoover. I purchased a new oil pump but will travel to Bill Rawles Healey restorers this weekend to get a second hand strainer ...... cannot get new ones anywhere! Bill also has a used horn push and indicator for my adjustable steering column....again, I cannot find a new one.

Luckily there is oil in the conrod and main bearing shells so I shall eventually flush the whole system as it is, with a new alloy sump and oil pump/strainer fitted.

Feeling my age, but determined to see her on the road again.

....10th August...

Visited Bill Rawles empire today. What a wonderful set up for Healey restoration advice. Lovely people to deal with....at last I have got hold of a hornpush/indicator assembly and oil sump strainer. Can't wait to get going...

17 August...

So...oil pressure problem ....installed new oil strainer and sump. Still no oil pressure.... so confused but went back to the friend Paul in Thailand who had the restoration before me (I call Paul my "midnight mechanic" because with the wonders of Whattsapp I am able to talk with him and share pictures at midnight here when he is 7 hours ahead in Thailand). He felt he may have put the flange modification to the oil filter 180Β° out. I checked that and he had! The evidence was that when removing the spinoff filter and starting the engine, the oil was coming through the middle of the filter rather than down its sides! Wrong!.. soon as I turned the conversion flange adapter 180Β° oil pressure was fantastic! Fired up at last. haven't heard that sound for 40 years. what a wonderful engine noise.

healeyengine4.jpg

There is huge classic/vintage car festival with about 1600 cars this bank holiday Monday coming and a mixture of Healeys, all the British cars, American classics, Rollers all sorts of things. ("PERSHORE PLUM FESTIVAL" every year in August - worth a visit). This was my original target date to show the car fully completed. I have an exhibitor's pass for the day so now i intend taking it down there on a trailer. I think it would make a nice display and I would benefit from talking to like-minded people about the actual car itself so that I can move on with good ideas and tips to move forward.

Anyone know how to rewire the horn push and indicator? Not sure how to separate the bits to un solder the wires and replace.
14th September...
Didn't make the Pershore show...couldn't get a trailer. Attended and met many Healey owners. Good chats....gave me confidence in knowing things that don't quite fit is not unusual and just need to be creative sometimes. No-one has ever managed to completely strip an old car and rebuild exactly!

Managed to strip, rewire and reinstall horn push. What a test of manual dexterity!!!

Started bleeding brake system but replaced both front brake calipers because of my inability to remove and replace corroded bleeders!. Damaged the casting on one of them! Found a very good price of Β£69 per new caliper!! So bought two to ensure good balance. The flexipipes and copper pipes needed clearing after years of sitting unused. All ok now.

Next job is sorting charging issues. Dynamo

....26th Sep 2019...

Charging sorted! Checked output from dynamo....14 to 15 volts.....ok. Although I knew the regulator box had been ok 40 years ago I adventured in to opening up the unit. Carefully cleaned four sets of points. Interesting that buffing up still failed to succeed but after cleaning with meths, charging is restored. The joy of seeing the charging light going out !!!
Equally the sense of achievement using my new found electric skills.... It prompted me to open up the traffic indicator control box and carry out similar action. Again, success! Indicators working. Now only left with no tacho operation. Likely to take for testing.

So.... Engine good, electrics ok, brakes done... Allows me to put the front shroud on at last. This feels like a very significant step towards completing the restoration.

The shroud settled down very well the only question was the closeness of the the inside of the bonnet opening to the carburettor air intakes. A few spacers inserted on the support struts etc seems to have done the trick. I continued to have fantastic telephone support from Bill Rawlings and JME restorers as to to the worries I had about misalignment. They confirmed again that as with any old car, stripping down and rebuilding will present such problems. At this stage I had been following in reverse the Haynes manual instructions for removing the shroud and was now at the point of installing the grill. I chose not to finally fix or rivet the shroud until I had the grill installed. Horrendous arrangement of three pieces of chrome, nuts and bolts etc etc caused huge frustration with the grill arrangement. In the end I decided to lift the shroud off and install the grill on it before refitting to the body. Much easier and I see no issues in the future for having done so

IMG_20190906_091911055.jpg

27th September 2019

.... What a great moment!! Today at 3am (yes ..3am) I have fitted the windscreen wipers! Yes, I know, it doesn't seem so epic, but it follows two days of complete rebuild of windscreen assembly and its final installation.! One of the trickiest jobs I have experienced so far. Haynes manual followed to a letter, spacers bought for the support struts to body fitting. Sealant applied. Almost overlooked the attachment to the centre bracket.... I thought the centre hole in the shroud was of no use until JME restorers told me about the rubber insert including its thread for taking a centre fixing bolt was available from head4healeys. This was an item that was probably in the pile of bits I collected with the
car way back in December 2018.... and probably threw away!!
healey windscree.jpg

Now at a point where my Healey, after 40 years labour of love, only needs two wings and two doors fitted.!! The paintwork is already done and I've invested in all new bits for both doors, although both windows are salvaged.

Hey!! What is in Coca-Cola that brings rusty chrome back to perfect?!
Great tip given to me by ANOTHER new found friend who happened in to my garage today.

1st October.... :argue:

Why did I not realise that the wings go on before the bloody windscreen!! Can't get them on! Ne'er mind, having installed the windscreen once I can remove and re-install again.

October 16th 2019.....

Managed to fit both wings on with a struggle with making the shroud and the wing fit so as to make a perfect hole for the installation of head and side lights. But then came the doors ....the final stage!!

Both door apertures were too tight at the top and prevented them shutting. No adjustment possible at all so investigations ensued with the very worrying thought that I had chassis alignment problems following 40 years of restoration getting to the point where I may have to strip it all back again!

Lots of advice from many sources suggesting not an uncommon problem after stripping the car down to bare chassis and hoping it would all fit together again. Thinking of making the doors themselves fit by shaving and respraying bits off but that wouldn't get over the problem that the Chrome flash at the top of the doors are about 3 mil too long if I did so.

Then I found the Healey 3000 forum website with an article starting on page 9 about such problems. It highlighted the problem of the "Healey sag" which occurs as a result of the car sitting for some time during restoration.

I therefore decided to jack the car up at the point of the chassis at the middle of one door thus taking the whole weight of the car at that point. This immediately resulted in the aperture opening at the top and allowing the door to fit perfectly!

My dear Healey is now sat cockeyed in the garage with me hoping that if left long enough it may settle permanently in this position. And then I can do the same to the other side!

If this doesn't work then I have another new friend who knows another man who knows a garage that will take the car and bend the chassis as appropriate,!!

HEALEY NEARSIDE.jpg

Can you see how close the wheel arches are to the tyres, and not centred!
Real worried.....

23 October 2019

No...he doesn't know a man because that other garage does not bend chassis's!

I decided to support the Healey at its midpoint only for a couple of days, which actually improved enormously the door fitment when dropping back on the wheels. But what do I know!! How to proceed?!?!

BUT....as fate would have it, an advert appeared in the local magazine which gave me hope that there was someone local in the Healey restoration business....only 10 miles away!!
healeyretromarques.jpg

So a visit proved most comforting in that I saw workshops, a Healey under restoration etc etc and the lovely boss Mark Knight who knows his stuff!

Invited him over for bacon sarnies with his panel/bodywork expert Terry Smith and after a very enjoyable investigative discussion we agreed that the best possible approach would be to make the doors fit! He was able to point out that a new door skin had been fitted and was considerably wider than it should be, and with a few adjustments to it and other areas of doubtful alignment, they could correct what was necessary to finish the restoration. In saying this, he also gave comfort in his appreciation of all the work I had already completed and said that the dear Healey was in great shape. I await his quote! He did say that it was good that the door was completely without windows and all mechanisms.

26 October 2019

Oh oh!! Water leak! Found to be one of the rear engine set of three core/freezer plugs! The ones that you cannot get to without engine removal! Forum suggestions about creating a short compressing device arrangement between the bulkhead and block looks like my first move.... I really don't want to remove engine!

28 October 2019

Looking at the rubber freezer/core plugs as an option for the fix needed. Any ideas?? I think I will take that as my first option.

Whist waiting for the quote for the doors to be fixed I spent a couple of days carefully stripping apart the hood. What an insight to the craft work that is needed to hold everything together!. The wooden pieces are completely serviceable so have ordered the flexi hood and associated seals today. looking forward to another challeng to make them all up. Glueing, forming, rubbing, shaping......

29th October 2019...

Well, my first look at the failing core plug issue previously highlighted revealed it will be impossible to replace, even with Dorman type plug, without lifting the bloody engine out!!! So now winter draws on,! antifreeze is in the engine, I never intended much driving of the Healey as yet, so this is a job on hold while I finish door fitting and hood restoration. Shame....

7th November 2019

Hood replacement parts all received from head4healy. Stripped old parts back and beginning to re-cover the beautifully shaped wooden bow and side struts. I am now reading very carefully a guidance document I found on web. The iron frame has been returned from shot blasting and I have spent today spraying it with good anti-rust paint....looks great. Toxic stuff is stinking the whole house out as it drifts indoors from the garage!

Looking at the way forward, the rear hood rail that will clip the edge of the cover to the rain channel suggests i need to choose between screws or rivets ... and make sure I paint them to avoid future rust occurring.

Received the heritage certificate today. All good. Built 4 - 10 June 1964. Despatched to Hanley Garage, Stoke on Trent 30th June 1964. Notwithstanding it's confirmed heritage, I still have questions of what happened between 1964 and 1974 when first owner purchased it, and why/when it's colour changed from ivory White to signal red. This missing 10 years is being pursued through V888 DVLA form I submitted last week. I hold little hope for fuller details because of data information restriction laws in the UK.

18 November 2019......

Regarding the missing 10 years, it has been pointed out that the log book I hold is a replacement and the process of re-issuing (presumably in 1974) would not include previous owner data.

The hood frame is now in place and operating well....and fits perfectly. If you ever have the need to reinstall the very strong tension springs that link the frame lever point to the inner sill....take care!! Frighteningly dangerous if tackled alone!.

I shall have to wait for warm weather to enable me to pull and stretch the actual hood over the frame. Probably a three handed job.

As far as the door fitment issue.....I am still waiting for quote!. The car is still jacked up on its chassis members at mid door point, with the whole weight of the car held there, and the doors fit perfectly. "Healey sag" hopefully being corrected....so avoiding cost of shaving doors and respray.

10 Jan 2020!! ... and very best wishes to all my readers (if I still have any?)

It's been a while but I have not stopped. Car went away...had its doors trimmed to fit!! Cost a bit!! But job had to be done. Oh dear....my lovely 20+ years painted doors will need respray.

Continuing the saga heritage...I now have a new best friend in tow! Alan, a local resident, is a retired body shop owner!! He popped in to my garage a few eeks ago and is absolutely immersed with me in the final stages. What knowledge!?! .... but of course I am having to take his serious judgment that when I started on my own in December, I failed to understand some very important sequences of completing the restoration. ie. KEEP AWARE OF THE DOOR FIT BEFORE STARTING, AND DURING, THE FRONT AND REAR BODY FITTING PROCESS.

20 Feb 2020 ..... Still struggling with doors fitting!!!

Doors all fitting....door and hood seals very tight....hoping they will gradually compress.
I am now in final stages of spraying one door.

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Roger

Welcome to the forum.
Great saga. I am sure you will het the Healey back on the road again.

I remember the MOT was always touch and go with my TR2.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wow, amazing saga! well done and let's get it done!

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
As a fellow 75 year old with a 38 year history with my 1960 BN7, I’m nearing the end of my time with my Healey. Age has made me much less tolerant of the pain involved with leaning over or climbing into awkward positions/places to fix things. Heat also is a major inhibitor to my enjoyment of driving my Healey. It is rare to find the perfect day to take a drive. Congratulations for undertaking this project at this β€œlate” date. Hope you bring it to fruition.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Best of luck on completing your project.
Remember that Beaulieu is coming up next month and might be worth a visit to find some bits.

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Thanks for responding Tim...nice to be in amongst you all.

Worried that if I get in to drive it, I won't be able to climb out!!

First car Austin seven ruby.!!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
A part of the female anatomy.
i have a mate that lives near you if you need some help. He is retired now, but has a workshop that his home.
Will see him next month when over.

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Visited Bill Rawles empire today. What a wonderful set up for Healey restoration advice. Lovely people to deal with....at last I have got hold of a hornpush/indicator assembly and oil sump strainer. Can't wait to get going...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Would welcome contact details.

He had asked you to PM him for the contact info (not always a good idea to post phone numbers or email addresses in the open forum). To PM Grantura_MK1, simply click on his name that's on the left in the post above, then simply click "Private Message" in the drop down. From there it works just like posting a message in the forum, except it will go to him privately. Then, when he replies, you will see a notification that you have a new PM in the "Notifications" area just at the top-right of the page.

Basil

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
So sorry....I really am struggling with the technicality of this forum. Your instructions are clear but they don't offer me a drop down menu for PM messages and I'm not the best with how it links members. Bit lost I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
So sorry....I really am struggling with the technicality of this forum. Your instructions are clear but they don't offer m drop down menu for megards

If you're not used to forums it can seem a little daunting at first, but I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. Here is a little video I made explaining the PM system which might help (not when you click on this link you will leave the "New Members Forum" and go to the Video Tutorials forum:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?117038-Private-Message-System

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I have sent him a PM from my end. Hopefully he can open it?
Would be nice to finish this project so he may get the joy of using it!!