• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just Joining Today!

RGW

Country flag
Good to be on board with you guys. Just got a '59 TR3 and looking for help with the steering. It seems almost blocked as I turn to the left. I'll check all the threads and see what I can learn. But if anyone out there, has a tip, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

GW

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi GW, welcome to the asylum!

Is the steering still real stiff with the front wheels off the ground? If so, the two places I would be looking first are the control head, and the idler arm.

But if lifting it makes it seem fine, my first suspect would be the steering box. There is a bushing down in the bottom, item 2 below, that has to hold the shaft 15 in line, but the shaft is only supported at one end. If the bushing gets worn (often as a result of no lube), the shaft can tilt when steering force is applied and then the peg 15a will bind in it's slot in the worm, 4. The drawing doesn't make it clear, but the peg has straight sides that match the straight sides of the groove in the worm pretty closely.

DXSUM31.jpg

Unfortunately, the box has to come out to replace that bushing, which means removing the front apron and associated components. I have managed to do it without removing the apron, but IMO it's easier to pull the apron.

PS, that diagram is from the factory Spare Parts Catalogue, which is a useful document to have. You can download a PDF of it, as well as several others, from
https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...yMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl?usp=sharing

The SPC doesn't always illustrate all the parts (especially production changes), but it at least lists the vast majority of them. I'm slowly trying to add the missing illustrations, but since I'm a lousy artist, it's rough going.

OP
R

RGW

Country flag
I live in Hailey, in the south-central part of the state, an hour and a half east of Boise, and 30 minutes south of Sun Valley. Familiar with this part of the state?

OP
R

RGW

Country flag
I jacked her up and she won't turn to the left. I mean she does, but it's like ten degrees. As I turn to the left, the it just stopped like it's being blocked by something. Turns perfectly to the right...where do you think I should go from here? Steering box?

Thanks!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I live in Hailey, in the south-central part of the state, an hour and a half east of Boise, and 30 minutes south of Sun Valley. Familiar with this part of the state?

My wife is from Jerome!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not so close, but a great part of the country....any advice on my steering challenge?

Thanks....GW

By Brother-in-Law still lives in Jerome.

Regarding your steering issue - this forum (New Member Introductions) is really just meant as a meet and greet for new members. To get help with specific issues for your TR, you should post in the Triumph forum here. Our TR forum is very active and you will likely get lots of help, but not all TR folks visit this new member forum.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Basil is the boss, and he's quite right (as always). I'll add that it's a good idea to add your car's details (preferably commission number) to your forum signature, since it's hard for some of us to remember what car we're working on, let alone what everyone else is working on! And they aren't all the same :smile:

But my next step would be to disconnect the outer tie rod ends, to make sure one of the vertical links isn't binding. If they seem OK, I'd probably try disconnecting the silentbloc joint between the Pitman arm and center link. If the steering still binds, disconnect the coupling in the steering column (assuming you have a split column). Since the steering box is by far the hardest component to service, I'd make sure it's not something else before tackling it. Divide and conquer.

OP
R

RGW

Country flag
Thanks for the advice on posting. I'll give it a shot. So far, it's been great to hear from you guys.

OP
R

RGW

Country flag
I appreciate the help and the step by step approach. Looks like it's time to roll up my sleeves. I'll also add the details to my signature as you've suggested. Thanks for the help!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello GW

Welcome to the forum

The Triumph section is very active and you will get a lot of tips, help and advice for all the issues that you will come across on your TR3A.

David

OP
R

RGW

Country flag
Thanks to all you guys. As Basil suggested, I'm going to post my issue on the forum and see what others have to say, but thanks so much for the help so far!