• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seized Nut Removal

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
:wink-new:

wheel.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lefty loosey.
Not always. Some cars have left hand threads on the left side, to counteract the tendency for the lug nuts to turn themselves counterclockwise.
I don't know when they stopped, but we had several 60s Dodges that had left hand threads on the left side. More than one mechanic got tripped up by that.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not always. Some cars have left hand threads on the left side, to counteract the tendency for the lug nuts to turn themselves counterclockwise.
I don't know when they stopped, but we had several 60s Dodges that had left hand threads on the left side. More than one mechanic got tripped up by that.

Yes, Mopar was big on that. My buddy had a Dodge R/T that would regularly catch me out.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Searching the picture on Google and there are a lot of theories that this is a wheel lock issue without the proper socket. I would've thought a long breaker bar would've worked if this was an ordinary nut. My son had that happen with a CPO Civic that turned out to be missing the key when he changed tires. Took the dealer 3 days to get a new one in.

D

Deleted member 8987

Saw one like that when they lost the key and a shop said "no problem". Didn't call me first...I have the special socket to get those off. Beat in on over the nut, breaker bar off (and check a regular nut to see direction).
My 49 Willys had left hand on one side....fixed that post haste.

Never, ever saw a need for that on lug nuts. Never had a car with all RH threads come loose. Even in heavily spirited driving. And I've been doing it for almost 55 years.

How do you do it if it's not an acorn lock nut?
Drill the wheel stud out right down the middle, Keep increasing bit size until the nut comes free on the bit. Put in a new stud and nut.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bought a aValiant and noticed the left rear had all new lug nuts and studs. Got the impact out to take wheel off front and quickly realized why the new nuts. I broke the stud before remembering the left hand thread. Now there are four lefts and a right on the one wheel. Then a year later found someone who sold left had studs for Plymouth, still not fixed.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My memory may be faulty, but as I recall, VW Beetles and (maybe) Porsches had lug bolts and no studs. Made tire changing fun when there were no studs to lift the tires onto. I use a jack today. Can't lift tires any more.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I can verify bolts on Beetles :frown-new:

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Don't know if it is applicable, but most tire shops have tools to remove lock nuts without the key.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't know if it is applicable, but most tire shops have tools to remove lock nuts without the key.

Funnily when Mrs JP got her snow tires change over this spring they couldn't find the key. They just replaced them with normal nuts because they said no one steals rims anymore - at least not factory rims.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As a Dyslexic would say - "That's funnily strange".

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The new car dealers in St. Louis are loosing new rims off trucks on the lot in increasing amounts. One dealer lost $10,000 in one night.

D

Deleted member 8987

Funnily when Mrs JP got her snow tires change over this spring they couldn't find the key. They just replaced them with normal nuts because they said no one steals rims anymore - at least not factory rims.

That's a French Canadian term, ain't it?