Thread: Ballard/Earhart

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Ballard/Earhart

Robert Ballard will be searching for signs of Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra on/near the island of Nikumaroro from August 7 to 22.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...hart-airplane/

Real-time live video of the search will be available at:

nautiluslive.org

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Re: Ballard/Earhart

I don't think the mystery will ever be solved. Too many years have passed, even if they found a proven part of the aircraft it'll still be speculation by different parties on what happened to her and her navigator. I personally believe they made it to land, were they captured by unfriendly forces, very possible, but then again it's speculation.

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

If I were Ballard, I'd be paying at least some attention to Joe Lodrige's theory. Joe is a military & commercial pilot & navigator with over 25k hours and he presents one of the most well thought out explanations I've seen to date. Not saying he's necessarily correct, but his logic is pretty solid IMHO. This is long, but if you're interested in such things, he's worth a listen:

Here is a screen shot of Google Earth showing Joe's prediction relative to Nikumaroro Island. Joe's prediction puts her roughly ~325 miles northwest of Nikumaroro. If I were Ballard, I would at least consider Joes prediction as one search area.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.45.25 AM.jpg
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basil For This Useful Post:

waltesefalcon  (08-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I watched and listened to Joes whole story and it makes a lot of sense, but still, the ocean is a big place and very deep, maybe Ballard will have some luck. It'll be like looking for a needle in a very large haystack, probably not much left of the aircraft after so many years in salt water and if it broke up on ditching.

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Most of the other theories assume they ditched near one of the Islands like Nikumaroro or Gradner Island. Joe's thesis seems to be rooted in sound navigatinal principles. If I were Ballard I'd not dismiss Joe's proposition.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde