• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ballard/Earhart

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I don't think the mystery will ever be solved. Too many years have passed, even if they found a proven part of the aircraft it'll still be speculation by different parties on what happened to her and her navigator. I personally believe they made it to land, were they captured by unfriendly forces, very possible, but then again it's speculation. :confused:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
If I were Ballard, I'd be paying at least some attention to Joe Lodrige's theory. Joe is a military & commercial pilot & navigator with over 25k hours and he presents one of the most well thought out explanations I've seen to date. Not saying he's necessarily correct, but his logic is pretty solid IMHO. This is long, but if you're interested in such things, he's worth a listen:

Here is a screen shot of Google Earth showing Joe's prediction relative to Nikumaroro Island. Joe's prediction puts her roughly ~325 miles northwest of Nikumaroro. If I were Ballard, I would at least consider Joes prediction as one search area.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.45.25 AM.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I watched and listened to Joes whole story and it makes a lot of sense, but still, the ocean is a big place and very deep, maybe Ballard will have some luck. It'll be like looking for a needle in a very large haystack, probably not much left of the aircraft after so many years in salt water and if it broke up on ditching.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Most of the other theories assume they ditched near one of the Islands like Nikumaroro or Gradner Island. Joe's thesis seems to be rooted in sound navigatinal principles. If I were Ballard I'd not dismiss Joe's proposition.