• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

how to have music/radio when driving

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What works for you folks?
I recently installed a construction type FM radio 'cube' in our dune buggy, just forward of the shifter and pointing slightly upwards and rearwards. I picked it because it is self contained with tuner and speaker, and can handle some level of rain. Unfortunately, I can't hear it while driving due to ambient wind, road, and engine noise.
On long trips with a passenger, we'll pack a set of construction ear protection muffs with a bult in radio, but those are no good for the driver.
Bose has their 'soundwear' for around your neck - has anyone tried this approach, with something to plug in to it for music and radio? Other suggestions?
Thanks, Doug

dklawson

Yoda
I have yet to hear a radio when at speed in a British car. However, several people have told me that the answer is to fit a pair of Miata seats with the speakers built into the headrest.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I installed a modern digital radio (JVC, Model KD-X40) in my '73 Midget and have no problem hearing it at speed, with the top down, and I'm half deaf already.

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 97

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
In this modern age, it seems to me that the "best" solution is to use noise-cancelling earbuds (Bose) and an MP3-player (or equivalent).

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doug
I have not gotten to the point of needing to have music in my B/E but I gave it some thought as my car had the radio cut out removed before I got it and had an antenna hole cut out in the bonnet. Here in California anything covering you ears will get you pulled over.

1. Drive with your side-screens
2. Dynamate everything you can in the cabin
3. Mount your speakers in a boot locking partition.https://www.bugeyeguy.com/2015/11/the-bugeye-trunk-partition/. I have noticed with my hardtop a lot if road noise comes from the boot. May be it is just an echo, but mounting a set of good speakers in the panel would allow someone to tailor the sound to the car and not chop up a car that really had no place to mount speakers. When you don’t want them visible remove the panel or cover with your tonneau.
Regards
Paul

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Forgot about that! I'm about to upgrade to a blue-tooth set. Not sure how any State laws could prevent that.

dklawson

Yoda
There are blue tooth hearing aids? How long do the batteries last?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
They are re-chargeable (and last the day) with about 1000 cycles of charging before one replaces the re-chargeable batteries.

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
Speaking of illegal headphones (please excuse the tangent), I was once pulled over in Kingston, PA for wearing headphones. I was riding my bicycle at the time. When the officer told me it was dangerous because you can't hear sirens I asked how then was I able to hear him toot his horn at me. He had no answer but made me take them off. He then circled around 2 more times checking me out before he finally rode off to harass another 'desperado'! Just thought I'd share an amusing story.

dklawson

Yoda
I bought this radio on E-Bay for $15.00 (Actually I bought three they were so Cheap) It fits great in my Bugeye and has great sound.
Diret Bluetooth Car Radio MP3 Player Stereo USB AUX Classic Car Stereo Audio L4A (Qty 3)
$45.06

Item #253660284233

How long has the stereo been installed? If it works and has "great sound" then you have certainly done well for $15. I looked at something similar several years ago and found that it could not accept a standard antenna plug. How about this one? Can you use a regular antenna with it?

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It has been installed for about 4 months.I have a telescoping antenna and it plugs right in. Although the shipping is free it takes a few months for it to arrive. It is only FM (no FM), but I get a lot of stations with good reception. I have my speakers attached in front of the Transmission housing and they work fine.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Since many of us have been exposed to loud exhausts, rock concerts and guns for years, the only answer is ..... bluetooth hearing aids.
I’m in the market for hearing aids and this sounds like the bomb!
Rut

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I’m in the market for hearing aids and this sounds like the bomb!
Rut

They're very fancy now (and very well concealed).
Unfortunately, there's no way around the high cost of the latest, digital ones. [and don't get the junky analog stuff you can find advertised to seniors for $300 each] Yes, you can get a set at COSTCO (where I'm at - and I have such a set) but it will still cost upwards $3,000 for a set. The audiology crowd will tell you that Costco is a bit behind the times in terms of technology (using Rexton, Philips and others).
I'm about to upgrade to better gear made by Oticon… and my super-special Medicare plan will only pay for $500/side, so I expect to still pay a good $3,000 (possibly more). The latest stuff is all blue-tooth, has remote controls, noise-cancelling, directionality, re-chargeable and other features.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
They're very fancy now (and very well concealed).
Unfortunately, there's no way around the high cost of the latest, digital ones. [and don't get the junky analog stuff you can find advertised to seniors for $300 each] Yes, you can get a set at COSTCO (where I'm at - and I have such a set) but it will still cost upwards $3,000 for a set. The audiology crowd will tell you that Costco is a bit behind the times in terms of technology (using Rexton, Philips and others).
I'm about to upgrade to better gear made by Oticon… and my super-special Medicare plan will only pay for $500/side, so I expect to still pay a good $3,000 (possibly more). The latest stuff is all blue-tooth, has remote controls, noise-cancelling, directionality, re-chargeable and other features.

I have some friends with hearing aids and they all tell me the only way to go is the high end ones like Oticon. They do it all, but the bill is steep. Around $6k. I'll probably be saying "huh?" a little while longer.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The thing that was hard for me to adapt to is the fact that one really has to wear them all the time (not intermittently like I did - for the symphony and such). Then, a full adaptation happens. With the new set I guess I'll be wearing them all the time.

One big disappointment, for me anyway, is/was that hearing aids really don't help in a noisey environment... which has been a problem for me for a long time.