• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

brake drum question

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

i just spun the right rear bearing on my 62. oil coming out of seal. So i replaced my bearing, seals, brake shoes. i did the left one about a year ago so knew what to expect. (by the way Moss now has a axle nut socket and it works nicely.)

after finishing i adjusted the brake and took a ride. for some reason i never feel good about adjusting drum brakes. never know if i have them too tight or not tight enough. i usually adjust up until they lock and then back off two notches. one just seems to have too much of a rub.

anyway, during my test ride i will pull off a couple of times and check the brake drum temp, comparing the two rear wheels. i feel this is the best way for me to tell if they are close to balanced. At this point my right rear is running about 10-15* hotter than my left. This is on longer runs without many stops, the left is 95-100 depending on where you shoot it. the right is 110-115.

i wondered if there is a concensus of what temps should run? i know it depends on how much stopping and how hard you stop. on my run it is about 20 miles. there are about 4 stops in there and i know where all of them are so it is normal stopping distance.

Thanks

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I adjust rear brake the same way: to lock, then back off two clicks. On test drives with spirited full stops the RR feels hotter than LR and an IR Thermometer confirmed this. Unfortunately I do not recall the values, but what you report do not seem excessive. I'm now running a DW vented and balance rear drum set for a smooth(er) ride - adjusted the same way but yet to take temp readings because they're, well, ventilated. I'll check this weekend but given the high SoCal ambient temperatures (95F+), > than 100F readings are anticipated. GONZO

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

Steve
i had seen this article when doing the left rear wheel a year ago. i did not use the gasket on either wheel. just RTV sealant each time. guess i should have gone ahead and done the right wheel when i did the left.

i can't say the gasket was the issue on this wheel. the bearing had a little bit of a gritty noise to it when spinning by hand. it may have just worn out along with the seal. i have no idea when it was put in. nothing was leaking when doing the car so i left it all alone. since then have replaced the pinion seal, the Left rear and now the right rear seal.hopefully the rear is all sealed up for a while.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

gonzo
Thanks for the info. it was 85 here for my test drive. gets over 90 and i go for AC at that point.

the car rolls pretty easy even after a run. i also figured maybe the newer brake shoes might wear in a little after a few drives?

my front rotors were in that 115 range after getting home.