• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Alternator

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might not be exactly the same, but I put a small Denso on my TR3 and it worked out well. Much better than the larger Ford unit I used before.

If I'm lucky, you can see some photos here
http://imgur.com/a/iiD20

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks just like the ebay unit I used with the moss thin belt kit.I tried to remove the pulley with a proper puller to use the moss pulley but felt like I was going to break something so I left it on and it works well with the thin belt.
Mounting was pretty easy.No electrical problems.
Tom

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, I have one on my TR3.

During the 'up-grade' I removed the pulley and installed a wide pulley from a generator. After a few thousand miles, I realized the reason for the key in the shaft of the generator. The pulley spun into the housing and overheated the bearing and threw the belt. Then, I used a dremel and cut-off-wheel to add a key-way to the shaft, and several several thousand miles later, the same alternator is working fine. -If you stick with the narrow pulley, you'll probably be ok, but if you want to use the wide pulley, you should add a key so the pulley can't spin on the shaft.

I also had to use a different size belt. The spacers for the cross bolt can be a little challenging. -And I removed the guts, re-clocked the output wires to be away from the manifold and painted the case black so it's less obvious. I recall slightly drilling out the bolt holes to the nearest non-metric size (and using grade 8 bolts). Here's a picture of the replacement spacer made from a front-end sleeve and washer.

Attachments

• altSpacer.jpg
    altSpacer.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 157

Joel M

Country flag
I bought a brand new OEM Denso 50A unit on ebay about six months ago. Nice alternator, but I could not mount the Bastuck thin belt conversion pulley due to interference with the Denso case, which stands slightly proud and close around the output shaft. Instead of having a relief machined (as shown in Randall's pictures), I purchased another 3/8" pulley that would fit. Just something to keep in mind if you are going with a Denso and it does not come with the right sized pulley.

Interestingly, the vendor I purchased from is still selling these things for $57. I think that's a good deal for a new OEM Denso alternator, assuming you can manage the pulley swap and machining operation (if required) at minimal cost.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Pontiac-Firef...3-Cylinder-Engine/1639948809?iid=163413346013

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like the looks of the alternator posted by Joel M. It has two bottom mounts, which in my opinion is preferable to only one bottom mount. The Denso version I installed on my TR3 has only one bottom mount and it was difficult to get it stable on the bottom.
Bob

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I purchased one that looks just like that one from amazon and there are a few things to look out for, it wasn't internally exited and it didn't have an ignition light circuit so I had to find a new regulator which solved the light problem.

Graham