• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Every time I Think I'm Getting Ahead..... Something Happens

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It was about 95 degrees today,& it's supposed to be in the
mid/high 90's the rest of the week. Yesterday,our A/c quit working.
Turned out to be the capacitor on the furnace.Part cost $219 (+).
The tech told me that the capacitor ($222) is slowly going on
the A/C unit,& the R422b freon will need to be recharged ($1300!).
He also told us that a new A/C /furnace is about $7500.
Then there's the Dodge Dakota I recently bought.I've put close
to what I paid for it,so hopefully nothing else will be needed for a while.
We also received a small inheritance from my Mother,but hate to
see it go to just pay off bills.It'd be nice to put it away into savings instead.

Does anyone know what the taxes are on an inheritance?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Lots of variables here. You're a resident of Virginia, and laws differ among all the states. I'm pretty sure the first $11 million in estate value isn't taxable at the federal level, and there's no federal "inheritance" tax.

I've never inherited anything in my entire life, so never had to worry about the taxes. Never could afford whole house a/c, never bought a pickup, so have no experience there.

Sometimes I envy those who have inheritances which are taxed!
Tom M.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Sorry for your bad luck!
If it a Cali inheriting who knows what they will want....probably more everyday!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Last year I replaced the capacitor on my AC unit - bought at a local electronics shop and I think it was in the $30-40 range - and very much a DIY project

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - why not order the replacement parts yourself, and do the work? Saves a bunch of money for sure.

Tom M.
PS - just call Virginia Dept of Revenue, and get some details on the inheritance situation. You're fortunate to receive it, so might as well get the facts rather than rely on hearsay.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Last year I replaced the capacitor on my AC unit - bought at a local electronics shop and I think it was in the $30-40 range - and very much a DIY project

Yep. We've replaced several here. Overpaid Grainger a couple times, just to get a unit up-and-running quickly. Google the cap part number and I'd bet you could find one for MUCH less than $200.