Thread: Build Your Own 100S

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Build Your Own 100S

Good project on BaT for someone with a few bob to spare: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-100s-tribute/
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Build Your Own 100S

This car was on BAT about a year ago, I wonder why it’s for sale again??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aero3113 View Post
    This car was on BAT about a year ago, I wonder why it’s for sale again??
    The owner prolly did the numbers: it'll never be a 100S and you can tell by looking it won't be able to be passed off as a 100M, gotta be a submarine.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either way, it will be a beautiful car when finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Lots of stuff there. Probably worth every penny of the asking. 12 bids.

But, how does one obtain a Heritage Certificate on a new Aluminium body with replacement chassis?

Unless somebody just swapped the body VIN plate, which makes it...illegal, right?

All those photos...and not one I saw of either the Heritage Certificate nor the VIN plate.
    It's listed (no info) here:
    http://www.ah100reg.co.uk/chassis1-htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Easy project to finish , all the hard work is done and it would be a head turner for sure .
    Im watching for sure .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Of course, on VIN numbers...I knew a guy in the Jag club who was surprised to see three numbers listed, with photos of really nice Jags. Except they were so rotten there was no saving them, and he scrapped them...as in made sure. Somebody got tags off the hulks and suddenly there is a new Jag. Options not on original? Who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Lot of Alohas from the seller, Perry from the Healey email list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glemon View Post
    Lot of Alohas from the seller, Perry from the Healey email list?
    Good one that only long-time listers will get.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I hate to be a nay-sayer but something about this disturbs me.

Yes, the present seller makes it very clear that this is but a tribute and hopefully his buyer will complete the construction/restoration with this in plain view. But someone is going to have a lot of time, money and effort tied up in this project which will, I believe, substantially exceed the project's value as neither a 100 LeMans or a 100S. My fear is that at some point the car might be presented as a genuine 100S and acquired as such by someone with more $$ than knowledge. True, there was only a limited number of S's made and while I believe there is a good accounting of the bona fides of those known to us what about those missing ones....

Might this car one day be passed of as a newly discovered find that has been hidden away in the private collection of some Swiss eccentric, etc. etc?
    Why are there so many 100M's?
    Maybe Anastasia did in fact escape the firing squad?
    Just sayin'....

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans
    1958 Elva Courier (FOR SALE)
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Glad you said it ... I agree. The current owner will sell, someday, with the clear understanding this is a 'clone' (sorry, 'tribute,' or 'replica' is being too kind; has Frank Luntz gotten into the vintage car sales business?). Then, that buyer will sell down the road and forget, unintentionally or otherwise, that the car is a clone. Lawsuits may ensue (or, the buyer who got burned turns around and does it to the next guy).

The other trend that bugs me that is apparently becoming commonplace is stating 'mileage' of a car since restoration. I've seen quite a few ads for Healeys for sale stating 'Only 1,500 miles!*' with the asterisk saying '*since restoration.' Often, the asterisk is missing. Sort of like taking a shower and getting a makeover and claiming your virginity has been restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I get where you guys are coming from re the clone resale , etc ,,,,,,however ........more fool them for not doing the appropriate research if they buy it thinking its the real thing . Just the same as buying a 100M replica ....and we know how many of those there are around !!!!!
    As long as the the seller doesn’t advertise it as a “real” 100s then how can there be a lawsuit .
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

The whereabouts of the 100Ss are pretty well known (see here, although this is not a current list: https://healey.org/about-healeys/spe...stry-data.html) and this car is so different than a genuine S that there's almost no danger anyone is going to be fooled. Take it for what it is, a nice BN1 that will drive an awful lot like a real S at about 1/10th the price.
    Rick

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Healey Nut View Post
    I get where you guys are coming from re the clone resale , etc ,,,,,,however ........more fool them for not doing the appropriate research if they buy it thinking its the real thing . Just the same as buying a 100M replica ....and we know how many of those there are around !!!!!
    As long as the the seller doesn’t advertise it as a “real” 100s then how can there be a lawsuit .
    That presumes automobile purchase decisions are made by completely sober, rational, logical and mature people who thoroughly research--i.e. they read Consumer Reports--and deliberate for weeks or months before pulling the trigger. From what I've heard of the crowd at B-J and Mecum, etc. this may not always be the case*, and the car companies surely know (they don't show Cherokee Trailhawks crawling through mall parking lots in their TV commercials). I know, if I came across something that looked for all the world like a 100S sitting in someone's barn I'd probably buy first and research second.

* A good friend of mine went to B-J a couple months ago looking to possibly buy an early 'Vette. She got trigger-happy and came home with a '53 TR-TC (think it's a TC, I don't know those cars that well). Fortunately, I think she got a pretty good one at a low price, but now she's looking to unload it and move to Kona. I went to a concours in Palo once to look at the Ferraris, and came home with a Healey 3000. Fortunately, that worked out OK, and the car was original and as advertised (I got lucky).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    That presumes automobile purchase decisions are made by completely sober, rational, logical and mature people who thoroughly research--i.e. they read Consumer Reports--and deliberate for weeks or months before pulling the trigger.).
    Exactly my point and if they are non of the above then you have more money than brains and deserve all you get for not doing your research ... Also I very much doubt that the likes of BJ or other large auction houses would sell a “100S” without all the paperwork etc to prove its real or recreation clone copy call it what you will as they would be open to litigation if they didnt .

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Healey Nut View Post
    Exactly my point and if they are non of the above then you have more money than brains and deserve all you get for not doing your research ...
    Can't argue that, but even with 'due diligence' a crooked seller can get away with it. I'm thinking of the incident years ago where a 'restorer' phished the BMIHT with a series of VINs, and used the certs designating 'provided with louvred bonnet' to create several, uh, 'tribute' 100Ms with the same VIN. So, even if you did due diligence and queried BMIHT you still got burned. It was only when Bill Meade noticed several cars attempting to enter the 100M Registry with the same VIN that the fraud got exposed. IIRC, the crooked seller was prosecuted for fraud, but you'd blame the buyers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Unfortunately there is no effective way to bell this cat and and while the term "caveat emptor" is always applicable it seems a shame that such a seductive temptress is being created. We may or may not hear about it in the short term but I fear that, a few buyers and sellers down the line, it has a predictable future.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1961 Ginetta G4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Oritt View Post
    Unfortunately there is no effective way to bell this cat and and while the term "caveat emptor" is always applicable it seems a shame that such a seductive temptress is being created. We may or may not hear about it in the short term but I fear that, a few buyers and sellers down the line, it has a predictable future.

I'm going to disagree. Unlike the 100M, the 100S has a limited number of chassis numbers that are easily recognizable beginning with "AHS" Assuming someone is able to fake a chassis tag, it wouldn't take much research to find the history of an individual S's chassis number. IIRC, there are only a few cars that are unaccounted for and if a "new" S suddenly appeared on the scene with one of those chassis numbers, its provenance would be thoroughly vetted by the S afficionados. I agree that fake M's are a huge problem, I'm just not seeing the same opportunity for skullduggery with the S. I'd liken it to genuine Shelby Cobras. They bear a CSX chassis number and although there have been some pretty accurate reproductions made, the instance of fakes being passed off as a genuine CSX is pretty rare.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Rick--

Unfortunately there have been numerous cases of counterfeit high-value cars, cars which had limited production runs, bering passed off as real and acquired by people who were either unknowledgeable, unconcerned or otherwise motivated. Take for example the iconic Lotus 23--supposedly only 131 made yet pretty commonly seen at race events world-wide. And while I may be wrong on this one wasn't there a case of a 100S having been built up and presented as real around nothing more than an authentic oil cooler?

In any case I hope you are right--but again I am not concerned with someone's deceiving the 100S cognoscenti as opposed to the greater public.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1961 Ginetta G4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

There was a guy discussed on this forum around 10 years ago who had some kind of bogus 100S that kept showing up on eBay etc that people were aware of.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow