• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not a quick trip

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Apollo 11. The launch as it happened. July 16, 1969. One of humans' greatest accomplishments.

I was a junior in college - watched the entire event on my Sony "tummy tv", from launch to landing to return.

Sony.jpg

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
"These are extraordinary times, and we face an extraordinary challenge. Our strength, as well as our convictions have imposed upon this Nation the role of leader in freedom's cause...time for this Nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement, which in many ways, may hold the key to our future on Earth. ... I therefore ask the Congress, above and beyond the increases I have earlier requested for space activities, to provide the funds that are needed to meet the following national goals: First, I believe that this Nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth..." -- President Kennedy, May 25th 1961.

"before this decade is out..." Made it with 5+ months to spare :encouragement:

I remember watching this with my mom and dad on an old B&W Zenith portable TV. I was a couple weeks from turning 15.

Country flag
Used to be a company called Spacecraft Films that issued the surviving NASA footage for much of the space program. I have their sets for most of the Apollo missions at home. Turn up the surround sound, fire up a launch and make the walls shake....

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Actually for the distance covered, it was a very quick trip! I doubt any human beings have travelled faster than the lunar astronauts.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was in college (freshman at the Univ. of Tampa) when the Apollo launched. A couple of us rented a station wagon and drove to the cape to see the actual launch. We got there the day before and parked the station wagon on the beach. We all slept in it overnight. Got up the next morning to witness the launch. I vividly remember hearing the sound of those engines approaching then passing us and getting lower in volume. The sound waves were awesome!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I was in college (freshman at the Univ. of Tampa) when the Apollo launched. A couple of us rented a station wagon and drove to the cape to see the actual launch. We got there the day before and parked the station wagon on the beach. We all slept in it overnight. Got up the next morning to witness the launch. I vividly remember hearing the sound of those engines approaching then passing us and getting lower in volume. The sound waves were awesome!

Now *that* is quite a memory to have!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now *that* is quite a memory to have!
I have more memories. I saved the front page from The NY Times and had it framed, it hangs in my office. I also saved the Life Magazine that covered the landing. Will post some pics later.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Interestingly, I had an email from my mother yesterday asking if I remembered that we were camping at the time. (I was 8) I have no recollection at all. so much for memories. :rolleyes:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have more memories. I saved the front page from The NY Times and had it framed, it hangs in my office. I also saved the Life Magazine that covered the landing. Will post some pics later.
Here's some pics of the NY Times and Life Magazine. By the way, Life Magazine costs $0 .40!

IMG_3956.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I looked through the Life Magazine that I posted above I came across this add by Volkswagen..... pretty clever.

IMG_3957.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
More 1969 memories:

Life Magazine - 40 cents.
New York Times - 10 cents.
VW Bug - $1799.
My teacher salary (in 1970) - $6500.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
1969: First MGB, first year of college. Watched the landing at my parents' house with my future First Wife. Vivid recollection as the folks and us watched. The TV was a 26" RCA color set.